MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, since this lovly weather has hit us, i've got a bit of an odd problem with the 600 :(

Now, winter spring etc... i can drive stop start and on a run and no problems, when it gets really hot weather like this after stop start driving, the car starts to "hunt" when on tick over...Flickering between 850 and 900 odd rpm sounding exactly like im blipping the throttle (but im not).

On a mad dash to Ludlow today, i wacked the blower to hot, and aimed it out the window for the whole journey and the problem didnt happen! which makes me think something is wrong with the cooling system.

BUT, my guage doesn't rise above half when she starts hunting, and i tested the fans by bypassing the thermostatic switch, so either the switch is duff, or i have a problem with the rad or something? (also, no leaks or nothing from the rad).

So if anyone could give a little help on the matter, it would be great :D

Regards, Stuart

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
is it possible it could be ECU temp sensor if there is such a thing on the diesel , mine behaves funny too (T-Series) , I believe it to be the ECU temp sensor being the problem

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Starry One said:
is it possible it could be ECU temp sensor if there is such a thing on the diesel , mine behaves funny too (T-Series) , I believe it to be the ECU temp sensor being the problem
Hmm could very well be, messed about with wiring under the bonnet and no joy there, whether or not a sensor is actually up the creek i'm not sure. Could be the MAF, i just dont know, only does it on really hot days!

p.s. loving the avatar ;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Stu C said:
Hello all, since this lovly weather has hit us, i've got a bit of an odd problem with the 600 :(

Now, winter spring etc... i can drive stop start and on a run and no problems, when it gets really hot weather like this after stop start driving, the car starts to "hunt" when on tick over...Flickering between 850 and 900 odd rpm sounding exactly like im blipping the throttle (but im not).

On a mad dash to Ludlow today, i wacked the blower to hot, and aimed it out the window for the whole journey and the problem didnt happen! which makes me think something is wrong with the cooling system.

BUT, my guage doesn't rise above half when she starts hunting, and i tested the fans by bypassing the thermostatic switch, so either the switch is duff, or i have a problem with the rad or something? (also, no leaks or nothing from the rad).

So if anyone could give a little help on the matter, it would be great :D

Regards, Stuart
funny you should ask this, as my 600 diesel is playing up the past few days
on tickover its chugging

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shakenNstirred said:
funny you should ask this, as my 600 diesel is playing up the past few days
on tickover its chugging
Thats it! then people look at you funny at the lights as if to say what you revving at?

But yet when i did the thing with the blowers it stopped, i think ill have to bypass the fans and switch them on when shes miss behaving.
She will not die, not now ive finished university after 3 years together! :lol:

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If you have a tuning box from rover-ron then you'll need to back down the fueling a bit thats all. Mine does it too.

Other possibilities are the air-con cycling on and off.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, shes standard with regards to chipping etc... just got a K+N panel filter, and no air con unfortunatly :(

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
stu, coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing, remove the wiring plug, see if that helps, mine went duff and i had a similar thing

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AndBurG said:
stu, coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat housing, remove the wiring plug, see if that helps, mine went duff and i had a similar thing
Ah right cheers Andy, where abouts would i find that then?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
front left of block, stuck out, its the snsor on the top of the mound that the coolant pipe plugs into, just try with it unplugged

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 400SDi ('98), it also runs a lumpy as a lumpy kangaroo under gentle throttle up to 2000 rpm.

I tried disconnecting the sensor, did no good. Also it doesn't happen under hard accelleration, just gentle throttle.

It's now, officially, driving me nuts >)

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I unplugged the temp sensor thing on the left of the block and it made a slight differance when i was tinkering with it on the drive (when it was on tick over) i also tried the egr valve unplugged that made a slight differance when i took her for a spin.

Next week im going to try to replace the temerature sensor, but ive heard about blanking off the egr? does the effect anything or harm anything?

Regards, Stuart

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
stu i have had the EGR valve blanked off for the past 6months and the cars been fine.
its only since the hot weathers been here that i have had any problems with the engine chugging on tickover now and then.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shakenNstirred said:
stu i have had the EGR valve blanked off for the past 6months and the cars been fine.
its only since the hot weathers been here that i have had any problems with the engine chugging on tickover now and then.
Ah right, ill change the sensor first then, as also been told its this. I think when im opn the straight and narrow financially, ill get round to generally replacing most of them lol!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
one strange problem i did have on Friday was when i was driving at a steady 65, all of a sudden the car accelerated on its own, as if i have floored the accelerator(boost gauge went up by 3psi also).
few seconds later the engine check light came on and the engine cutout.
it did it afew times and then was fine for the next 260miles down the M6.
when i got to Glasgow and had just parked up and the car was ticking over, it suddenly revved to 2500rpm without me touching it and the engine check light came on again and cutout.
any ideas as to the fault?
cars been fine since so I'm stumped

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could be the throttle pointenmeter as its fly by wire? or crank shaft sensor.. that does sound very bizarr!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
I wouldn't rush into replacing the temp sensor.

A good look with a scantool at what outputs are being monitored by the ECU would be a good start. Temp sensor would be £20 or so......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts