MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STUTTGART, Germany — German car magazine AutoBild has just published a story saying that Mercedes-Benz will build a latter-day version of the classic 1950s 300SL Gullwing.

The magazine's cover story, under the title "The flying tourer returns," shows a sketch of an enticingly curvy, 21st-century update of the timeless design. The Left Lane News Web site comments that the car looks like it "could slot somewhere between the SLK and the SL/CL models."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115075#2

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Gullwings always worry me....they look good, but when the cars on its roof and petrol is pouring from the tank (as it always does - watch any movie car crash) I suspect you might begin to regret it...

Ditto the first time you find a nice row of three spaces at Tescos so you can a)park and b) open the door. What would the chances of b) still applying when you got back if it happened to be on a busy Saturday morning?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention - don't take this story that seriously, the pic looks like a heavily photoshopped vx220 or something!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You call yourselves men!?!?! Stop thinking, start enjoying. I would learn to get out of the boot and park miles away just to be able to occasionally pop open the gullwings!
Dont worry if your car has a big boot, just get one you like, and work around its shortfalls!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well if you want a car with unusual doors save yourself a packet and get one of these.......

I mean the car, not the young lady before anyone starts...... :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Hey, we just about got gullwing doors on the SD1 remember.

One can only imagine how gorgeous a red SD1 Vitesse would look with gullwing doors and the full bodykit. :hyper:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V8King said:
Well if you want a car with unusual doors save yourself a packet and get one of these.......

Lolol theyre not gullwings.. and that lady doesnt look that young to me!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Funny you say that Nick, there's a 1985 Vitesse at the garage round the corner from me. Don't like the colour so I haven't asked what they want for it. Doubtless they'll claim it to be a twin plenum model though........

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
V8King said:
Funny you say that Nick, there's a 1985 Vitesse at the garage round the corner from me. Don't like the colour so I haven't asked what they want for it. Doubtless they'll claim it to be a twin plenum model though........
That V8 noise. Had a Land Rover Discovery V8 'creep' up behind me last night. Looked to have a modified exhaust and boy did it sound fantastic.

Anyway, it could well be a Twin Plenum if it's an '85 model. To think people bought Rover 800s instead of the old SD1s. Tsk. It could be an ex Rover car as apparently a lot of the last SD1s were registered and staff used them for 6 months or so before they were sold onto the dealers, something about emissions or something IIRC. That reminds me about a Rover 600 I saw yesterday...

·
Registered
984 Posts
V8King said:

????

There's a car in that picture? where

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Samuel said:
You call yourselves men!?!?! Stop thinking, start enjoying. I would learn to get out of the boot and park miles away just to be able to occasionally pop open the gullwings!
Dont worry if your car has a big boot, just get one you like, and work around its shortfalls!
If I have to put up with THAT particualr shortcoming I at least expect it to have 'flux capacitor' on the options list...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm pretty certain it isn't nick as it has the mk11 chin spoiler and not the plastic air dam on it, which is how I always spot one on first sight. I'm not looking anyway - there's the small matter of a supercharged 260 to be resolved...........

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Didn't the DeLorean have some sort of unique feature that allowed its doors to open/close in much tighter spaces that typical gullwings, or was that just another of those things that sounded good on paper but didn't work out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts