MG-Rover.org Forums banner

901 - 920 of 937 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #901
My goal this evening was to stitch the reinforcing fold/return at the bottom of the Leatherette seat base 'skirt' and add in the two tabs that do, err, well - something that I cant recall at the moment...
:lol:

So it was back out with some off-cuts of Leatherette and mark out and cut some new tabs:

Then set up my new favourite tool and set to work:

Well that all seemed to go remarkably well, so I think I will quit for tonight while I am winning

Have a nice evening everyone.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
This evenings task was to try to attach the Black strip that goes around the base of the seat base 'skirt' and then wedges up into the seat frame to tension the skirt. Easier to see than describe I am afraid.

This strip is a multi-layered fibrous material and about 3 mm thick. This means that as much as I like my sewing machine, I think it would kick it into next week if I tried to stitch that to the Leatherette skirt - therefore I needed another plan. The good news is that because this area of the seat is at the bottom near the carpet and tucks back up under the seat, whatever I do probably wont ever be seen...
:D

After walking into Town at lunch and chatting with the Ladies in the fabric shop I came up with the idea of using fabric rivets. Also buying a leather punch 'thing' I thought I might be able to make this work.

Using a piece of scrap Leatherette, I punched a hole:

And another in the 'fibre strip':

After assembling the two bits together I peened over the fabric rivet and it held nicely:

So we have an outline of a plan - lets see if we can pull it off now...

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #903
Well my plan didn't really work out at all - the fabric rivets started to quickly pull back through, so I needed another solution...
Then I realised that perhaps I could stitch it after all - by hand!
The original holes were present in the Black fibre strip, so all I needed to do was to use though and then make fresh holes in the Leatherette:

So I did exactly that and now it is solid - going nowhere. Its not pretty, but it wont be seen anyway. This is definately a case of function over aethetics!

:thumbup

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
Sadly Archery was cancelled this evening due to a Staff shortage.... Not quite sure how that affected us, perhaps they were worried that we would all start shooting at each other instead of the targets

Anyway, these things happen, so I decided to do a little more on the Passenger seat base cover. The next job to do was to reattach the hog ring retaining rod that sits about 3/4 of the way back:

Hand stitching was required again here. I went across, then came back to double up for strength:

Not pretty, but as long as it does its job thats fine with me.
Tomorrow I need to also reattach the Black strip that sits right at the back of the seat base and tensions the cover from front to back as it also contains a hog ring rod:

To be continued.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
This morning I reattached (using the sewing machine this time) the Black end hog ring retaining rod strip. This strip pulls the seat base fabric taught from front to back and fixes under the lower hinge area of the two seat parts:

i0fTRwZ.jpg

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
At this point I am now facing the most daunting part of the seat base mini project - joining the 'base' and the 'skirt' together and adding the original piping in between... I am not looking forward to this part at all I can tell you!

I decided to try to work out in my head how I was going to do this by doing a small scale test using scrap pieces of Red seat fabric and Burgundy Leatherette. Basically to end up with the two pieces of material at 90 degrees to each other and the piping sitting correctly, you have to start with the two external faces together - like this:

Then once you run the stitching through and fold the fabrics to where they need to go you get this:

So now I know basically what to do, I have to do it on a much bigger scale with the full size parts - I'm nervous as hell about this!

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
After thinking about this job a bit more, I decided that I could probably do it in two bits - so that's my plan.
First job - try and stitch the piping and the Leatherette 'skirt' together:

Mission accomplished - so far, so good!
Now to try to attach the 'skirt' with piping to the main base fabric...

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Wow!

Didn't know this thread existed. Ian, you are a professional!
Impressive work. I ashamed of myself now :)

Can't wait to see this finished (y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks mate - much appreciated.

This is the reason why my F is away in storage hibernating.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Do you plan to do any engine/mechanical upgrades after completing the restoration?

Is impressive how the fundamental of car constructions are still the same.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
Do you plan to do any engine/mechanical upgrades after completing the restoration?

Is impressive how the fundamental of car constructions are still the same.
I have already done one or two 'sympathetic enjoyment upgrades' as I have gone along. For example I retrofitted electronic ignition (replacing the ignition points), but nothing that cant be returned to factory later. I have also added some sound deadening in places that you cant see.

My plan is to keep it as standard as I can - as parts and materials supply allow of course.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #913
Well I am now knee deep in the big final stitch - joining the fabric base of the with the Leatherette skirt.
Even though it looks OK so far I have been plagued with problems. I think that my machine is right on the edge of its capability and that even with a Leather sewing needle fitted. I have already broken one needle and had numerous birds nests of thread. I have also been struggling to keep the material flat and in the right place as it passes under the needle.
As I could feel myself getting frustrated and trying to 'force' things, I have decided to leave it for the evening and resume battle tomorrow. This is what we have so far - the good news is the piping is nice and tight to the fabric and the Leatherette, so if I can just get right round the seat base without too many more snags it should look pretty good:

Have a nice evening everyone

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
A late night tonight.
However, I did manage to get all the sewing finished on the Passenger seat base:

With that done, there was really only one thing to do - see if it fitted... First job was to lay the old wadding over the top of the seat foam, then attach the upper hog rings. These sit about 2/3 of the way back from the front edge of the seat and basically prevent the top fabric from shifting around. In this photo the wadding has been moved away for clarity:

Then it was time to pull the material around to see if it was OK - it kind of was, but still needs a lot of thumping and pushing to try to get everything in better positions:

Then it was time to fit the rear hog rings:

These pull the material pretty tight and this tests the strength of your stitching for sure. Mine is holding for now...

Am I happy? - reasonably. If I was a Teacher, I would mark it 5/10 with a "could do better" comment.

Anyway - night all

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Last nights little job was to try to strip down the Passenger seat back rest cover. We started with this:

Then a few hours with the seam ripping tool and we now have this pile of junk - err, sorry I mean templates

Onwards!

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
Only a small update this evening.
I used the old vinyl pieces as templates for the new items to be cut from Leatherette:

Its pretty tough trying to hold things flat that have been bent double for 40 years I can tell you. Pegs are my new best friend

Tomorrow evening I hope to get the fabric parts cut.
With Archery on Friday, that will set me up nicely to (hopefully) start stitching thee parts together at the weekend.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
Just finished marking and cutting out the fabric for the Passenger seat backrest:

So that means that this weekend we can make a start on stitching it all together.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #919
And so (or should that be sew
) it begins.
Some final marking out of stitch lines etc. I hadn't realised until a short time ago that the top parts of the seat are slightly curved where they come together. Its obvious when you think about it due to the curvature of the seat and the bolster areas etc. So I have basically revisited the profiles of each piece to check that they are correct - a few minor corrections were required!
The first thing that I will do is to stitch the Leatherette back to the side pieces - here we are getting ready for that:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
Not too much done today as it is Mrs Mc's Birthday today - so we have been pretty busy with all the usual treats

I did manage to squeeze in a couple of quick jobs though:
1) The 'interest' lines were added to the main fabric of the backrest:

2) The piece of Leatherette that attaches to the bottom of the fabric, had it pocket stitched up. This pocket is the home for the hog ring retaining rod:

The sewing machine is still all set up ready to do more, but now we are all off out for Dinner, so that's it for the day I am afraid.
Have a nice evening everyone.

901 - 920 of 937 Posts