MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was told by a Rover mate of mine that you can do a funny ECU reset on the Rover 400's/

i have a P reg 1997 416si and was wandering whats the best way of resetting the ECU so it relearns driving style etc?

Is it taking battery off for 20mins?

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ive done it several times on mine ..when i was making goofs on the LPG set-up

there wasn't anyone to ask how long ...dark area.

but over night did it ..........or appeared to do it ..

then i believe it can take anything up to 300 miles to learn and run the engine more efficiently........i say 300 miles......... this is dark area too.

Ive asked a few questions here and there .....and no one really knows ...

also no one really knows what code reader to buy .....some saying only test book works .

all the best...mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive done it several times on mine ..when i was making goofs on the LPG set-up

there wasn't anyone to ask how long ...dark area.

but over night did it ..........or appeared to do it ..

then i believe it can take anything up to 300 miles to learn and run the engine more efficiently........i say 300 miles......... this is dark area too.

Ive asked a few questions here and there .....and no one really knows ...

also no one really knows what code reader to buy .....some saying only test book works .

all the best...mark

very interesting.....i will try and leave the battery off all night then and see how we get on :)

anyone else have a perspective on it?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was having a battery drain problem.Read on the net somewhere that disconnecting battery for twenty minutes might reset ECU. It worked in my case.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an Autodata Manual I acquired for ECU fault codes and how to erase them, it says the only way is via diagnostic equipment. It normally gives backdoor methods though, like turning it of and on 50 times for the 2 litre Di.

So looks like you need a code reader.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an Autodata Manual I acquired for ECU fault codes and how to erase them, it says the only way is via diagnostic equipment. It normally gives backdoor methods though, like turning it of and on 50 times for the 2 litre Di.

So looks like you need a code reader.
how much are the code readers and where can you get them from? can't just use cable and laptop software presumably?

Well the battery is off for the night....shall see how we go :D

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I did a battery-off reset a while ago and I could swear I felt a difference.
I think I'm gonna do it again as my fuel consumption seems higher for no reason these days.
there's also the method of pushing the throttle pedal 5 times or something, but it never did anything for me. anyone got more info about that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a battery-off reset a while ago and I could swear I felt a difference.
I think I'm gonna do it again as my fuel consumption seems higher for no reason these days.
there's also the method of pushing the throttle pedal 5 times or something, but it never did anything for me. anyone got more info about that?

i think thats the method my mate told me to do, but made no difference on my rover 416 at all...

well ive only driven 10miles or so today so will have to fully test :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Five pushes only resets the throttle position sensor on the fly-by-wire models. Ignition on, press pedal to floor five times, ignition off.

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts