MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the worn steering wheel in my CDT Tourer with one I picked up from a breakers, and I've been reading the instructions given here on what to do. If I can get away with NOT disconnecting the battery, I'd be happier, as I fear problems with the radio when reconnected (not looked into it, but there is some mention of a radio code, and I've no idea of what mine might be).

So, a) do I have to disconnect the battery or can I get away with just the airbag fuses (in which case, is there now a consensus on what these are); and b) if I do, what will I need to do to get the radio working again?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Mine has a symphony HU, and I've had the battery disconnected on a couple of occasions for several hours, and the radio's just fired up again no probs. Can't say for any other HU. On my old 800 Sterling, the radio code was pencilled on the radio chassis............

If you do disconnect the batt, the advice I was given was to leave it for 20-25 mins before doing anything else to the car, to allow systems to wind down(?)

Malcolm

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think it's been mentioned before that you can get away with the removal of the airbag fuses.
..........thats what i did last week when i changed the wheel on my ZR.I worked along the lines of no fuse/no power,i still left it a good 20 mins after removing the fuse before i started work.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I fitted a wooden wheel without removing the fuse or disconnecting the battery. If the ignition is off, this should be all that's needed.

Ron

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
I fitted a wooden wheel without removing the fuse or disconnecting the battery. If the ignition is off, this should be all that's needed.

Ron
I think you are correct Ron, I think the instructions work on the theory "better safe than sorry".

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
..........thats what i did last week when i changed the wheel on my ZR.I worked along the lines of no fuse/no power,i still left it a good 20 mins after removing the fuse before i started work.
I'd certainly do this, if I was certain which fuse(s) to remove - there seems to be some confusion about this, or at least, two variants.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not shure mate as mine is the ZR,i just used the orginal MG hand book & found the fuse there. If in dout remove both ?.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi.

I've removed the steering wheel twice on my R75, once to update the leather one, then again to fit a wooden one.

Like yourself I was a bit unsure the first time I did it but I didn't disconnect the battery on either occasion or remove any fuses. You need to turn the car engine off, remove the key and wait for 20 mins before starting the job.

.........and you will be surprised how easy it is - both times the wheel pulled off with hardly any effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts