MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have got a chance of a new set of seat covers for my ZT. Mines a mk1 the covers are half leather off a mk2, are these interchangeable? And if so whats involved in changing them? Is it a dealer job with the airbags in the seats etc? Or could a local refurbisher or the like do the job?
Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If the replacement covers are original equipment then replacing them shouldn't present any major problems as they should be stitched correctly. iirc however there were two seat designs for the ZT, one of which had slightly bigger side bolsters, therefore if they are later covers then there is a chance you could get the wrong ones. I would therefore check with a professional trimming company first. Depends on your location obviously but in this situation I would ask someone like Aldridge Trimming in Wolverhampton.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
In theory it is easy but I would get a professional to do it. I can't recall whether the ZT seat shapes changed between the original and facelift which is the real issue fore you but I don't think they did.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
mg_zt
307 Posts
The padding on the Mk 2's was different to the Mk 1 to make a more efficient use of space.

I would think it would be an absolute nightmare to do and best left to pro's but i have never tried it and it could be easier than i think, doubt it though

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dont know if the late and earlier seats are different so cannnot help on that front,but the replacement of all seats covers are not a massively hard job to do but you do require the following.Covers are held on by what are called hog rings,these are basically triangular shaped tensile rings which have pointed ends that pierce the fabric/leather of the cover.The hog rings sharp pointed ends are offset so they overlap each other when they are squeezed together.You also need a a pair of hog ring pliers to squeeze the rings together.These have grooves machined into the jaws to hold the hog ring in the pliers as you position them to attach the cover to the frame and steel/wired sections of the seat.To remove the old covers you will need a very good pair of cutters to remove the original hog rings.With practice you will be able to replace all your seats covers easily in a matter of 4-5hrs.I used to replace covers on cossies and RS turbos all the time.Ive never done seats with airbags so you may need to ask the question who has,maybe a trimmer.I used to use a company called frosts for my pliers and hog rings www.frost.co.uk/ Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts