MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 plate VVC finally got through another MOT this month, I took it for a drive but it was awful, the ride is diabolical. I decided to take her off the road again and replace the hydragas. I originally planned to get the spheres reconditioned but on removal I found the two rears are badly corroded. The seals were long gone and I suspect they have not been working at all for some years. I have decided to take the plunge and get Mike Satur replacement suspension in stainless steel. In the thread below I will show the stages I am going to take to do this. Part one is removal of all the old parts. I’ll put photos up at weekend as I’ve already removed two hydragas units.

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
I installed Mike Satur's FCCKit in both of our Fs about 4 years ago and we are very happy with Mike's coilover kit. I look forward to seeing and reading about your install progression. Good luck!

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
That sphere looks to be well past its best before date.

When I installed the front turrets on my wife's car, I found that the turret was hitting the top of the inner fender. It turned out that the rubber in the original subframe mounts had soften and was allowing the subframe to move upwards a bit. I ended up replacing all the subframe mounts on both cars.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress, but it took ages. Corroded 10mm bolts on the cover for Hydragas and had to remove ECU, air filter and other things to get access to the 13mm nuts at the rear. They are very very hard to get to.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
When it comes to installing the rear turrets, I found it easier to drop down the subframe on the LHS to gain better access.

For the nuts on the upper arm, try heating them with a propane torch, or you might find that a nut extraction socket is needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts