MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what screws i need to replace the soft top catches screws?

Attached a pic of the screws i want to replace.

I would like them in stainless steel or anything else that looks similar to Chrome which will look better with my replacement catches.

Cheers
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... the screws finally came and i attempted to change the catches this morning... Attempted being the problem!

Why oh why is there always 1 knackered screw?!! The bit just spins in the head of the screw as there is no grip left wheres its rounded off!

So now i have 3 out of 4 pieces installed and currently cannot get the last screw out of the passengers catch so im stuck with a black catch and a chrome catch at the moment!

Thats it moaning finished for the moment... :fail:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt try anything with it because i was hoping it would take 20 minutes then i would be off out so didnt have time.

Its in a tricky place to do anything with the head as on the catches there are 3 screws the one on the side on its own is recessed inside the catch frame/housing so i imagine it is going to be a bit of a nightmare. I think the only way may be to drill into the head down the thread and stick a self tapping screw in it and hope it pulls it out with it! If not it may need me to break the catch off carefully!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Forget stud extractors. They mean drilling the screw and then inserting the extractor into the hole, the usual result is the extractor snaps because its tool steel high carbon.

They do screw extractors, a subtle difference. They have a specially formed tip that actually bites into the ruined screw head and twists it out, a bit like a crosshead screwdriver but with teeth. Made for use in a drill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts