MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to revamp the exterior of my soft top as it is getting a little faded, especially around the areas where the frame is under. Having looked at a few Renovo products (as these come highly recommended!) There are different kinds??

Cleaner
Proofer
Reviver
Ultra Proofer
Super dooper Ultra Proofer
Ultra super dooper ultra bloody proofer!! :dunno:

Please can someone explain? For the prices they charge I want to get it right!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I try:

- Cleaner: removes dirt and little stains, prepares for a later impregnation or recolouring
- Proofer: impregnation, protects your softtop from salt, bird poo, water etc. for several months
- Reviver: recolours your softtop when the colour is faded
- Ultra etc.: dunno, more powerful impregnation maybe :dunno:

Better english here: http://www.renovointernational.com/products/products.html ;) :lol:

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Herbie!

Do you know if all those processes need to be done? or some of them or just whatever you like?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I didn't use Renovo products so far (similar) but would do the Cleaner when you think it's due
and the Proofer once or twice a year. Depends a bit on where your car is parked (garage or not)

I've never used Reviver products so far.... I'd dribble all over the paint :haha:

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I ahve used all.

Recently used the restorer, but wasnt toooo happy with it. Its weird !

I love the proofer though. I do it twice a year and it keeps fine!
You cna sopmetimes get it a few quid cheaper on ebay

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
The REVIVER is the coloured product that puts life back in faded hoods - assuming it is one of the few colours that they sell.

The hood needs to be CLEANED first - could be renovo, AutoGlym, Turtle etc.

The hood then can be REVIVED. If the hood is a few years old and faded then it may benefit from 2 applications.

The hood then needs to be PROOFED - could be Renovo, AutoGlym, Grangers Fabsyl etc

Expectations can vary, as can results. It does not make a badly discoloured or faded hood as good as new. It does make a hood look better than before you started.

Like most things in life - the result is determined by the effort put in.

Get some 2" paint brushes from B&Q and apply well but do not allow edges to dry or streaking can result. I used a soft dustpan brush on the hood between reviver coats but don't normally bother.

My green hood was 3 years old when I did it.

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have AG Hood Cleaning kit, so will just need Reviver then! It isn't very faded, just over the bars of the frame!

Thanks Sprinter!!

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I was impressed with the AG cleaning and proofing kit. Easy to use and waterproofs well.

It did clean the hood, but it was back looking dusty again after not long so I don't think I'll bother next time :lol:

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The same problem for me too, hence looking at a different product really. Will just get the reviver for now and use AG to clean and proof!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
As James said, after cleaning, the damned thing gets dirty again.

Same happens with the body work even after using Maguiars Gold Glass products.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
It did clean the hood, but it was back looking dusty again after not long so I don't think I'll bother next time :lol:
Morning James :)

The more you go topless the lesser chance dust has to settle down on the roof .... haaaadcooooo :dddc: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts