MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, your experience and advice, please.

How easy is it to remove the dashboard on a ZT, and (probably more importantly) how easy is it to put back?

Since I've had the car its been plagued with rattles from behind the air vents and, less often, behind the instrument binacle. Its a plasticky sound, as if a cable is loose and knocking against the inside of the dash, or something has snapped and is rattling around. :irked:

It doesn't happen all the time (which makes it worse, as i'm forever waiting for it to start) and is worse on uneven surfaces as you might expect.

The dealer has tried to fix it, having finally accepted that its not in my imagination, and has had the dash out once, fixed a 'loose fitting' and tightened cables. However one trip over a cattle grid and it was back to square one.

I've been warned that taking the dash out is difficult and runs the risk of the clips loosening and making the problem worse, but I suspect that was an excuse to get out of doing anything else. :***:

Its still under warranty, but it would be handy to have a few targets to give the dealer to look at first, or if it is easyish, and no special kit is required, I might have a go myself.

Its a 2004 facelift ZT in case that makes a difference.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lots around on Body Control Unit, this can be got at thro glove compartment. Also, posts around on sorting out creaky woodwork,

Regards

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mine was the BCU as mentioned above. Quite a high frequency rattle set off by traditional grit & tar surfaced roads in particular (but not always). It appeared to come from any number of areas behind the dash, but slightly predominant around the glovebox or dash top centre (thought it was the solar sensor for a while).

The fix is to remove the glovebox (after the CD changer if its inside) then the BCU is directly above on the dash crosstube. Remove the two bolts, drop the unit and fix some anti-rattle tape to the seating face of the crossmember & re-install it.

You wouldn't think it would do it, but I guess its the weight of cables hanging off it.

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Well the dash comes out very easy put putting it back is harder and can rip the soft material of the centre console if you’re not careful.

But just pull at the "What would be wood in my car"
Just in front of the Speedo and pull up! The top part works as a hinge.
Then it will all just unclip

Putting back you need to re wire clock and the Air control thing.
Then place in top first and line up the right hand side driver’s air vent,

Then it should all push in apart from the bottom left hand side of the wood - This needs a good push and you could use a blunt blade to stop the corner of the wood from digging into the centre dash part.

·
Registered
mg_zt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody.

I've tracked down the various threads re the BCU rattle - that sounds most likely. I'll give the removing the glovebox route a try first and then, if no joy, follow Alex's advice and have the dash out.

All the advice much appreciated, cheers! :URGOD:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a very annoying squeak noise etc from the passenger glove box. I ended up taking the glove box out and padding underneath it with a sponge. Sorted !

I also had a click from the air vent on the passengers side nearest the door. It only happened every so often when turning corners. Sometimes it didnt..sometimes it did. Blimey it's annoying cos you are for ever waiting for it.

Anyway, in the end, I loosened the bolt between the dash and the door which holds the dash to the bodywork. The click went away. I found that the noise was caused by the air vent pipe which is in two and made of brittle plastic. The two parts clip together and were moving against each other making the click noise. By loosening the bolt it seperated the parts of the pipe so they didn't rub against each other.

The rest of the dash sometimes makes noises depending on the ambient temperature. A lot better nowadays though.

Clicks and noises are right pain..good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts