MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to remove the front side (door) windows on my ZT to replace the tint film. What's involved in getting to the glass, and more importantly, getting it back in.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
you just take the door card off and lower the window untill you can see the 2 bolts that hold the window to the rail, undo them(no need to take the bolts out).
slid the window off the rail and pull it out

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa, a reply at last. Thankyou ;)

Sounds fairly simple. Do I not need to take any of the trim, etc. off from around the door window frame then?

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
belcher said:
Whoa, a reply at last. Thankyou ;)

Sounds fairly simple. Do I not need to take any of the trim, etc. off from around the door window frame then?

Cheers

Gary
i didnt when i took the window out my 600 or my old 214
but dont know about the ZT

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As nobody seems to know how to do this on the ZT, I found out myself. Here's how to do it in case anyone else ever needs to:

First, make sure the window is in the up postition.

1) Remove the small screw blanking cover from the inside door handle and then remove the phillips head screw.

2) Remove the phillips head screw from the air vent duct near the hinges side of the door

3) Pull out the door handle unit. It will just flop about on the cable.

4) Use a small flat screwdriver and carefully prise out the electric window switch panel unit. Unplug the cable from this unit and put the unit to one side.

5) Try to grab the bottom edge of the door panel and pull it away from the door. Use a flat screwdriver if you want, but be careful. There are about 8 or 9 clips around the panel that pull out. There are also 2 bigger ones in the centre of the panel near the handle. Give it a real good tug. It will come. It is also clipped along the top edge by the window. Pull it away

6) Remove the panel after feeding the door handle unit and the switch cable trhough the holes. Also, guide it upwards and over the lock pop button.

7) Now carefully pull down the black inner cover from the top. You any need to pull away the top left and top right corners. This will expose a small hole about the size of a 2p piece.

8) Use a suitable socket (about 10mm) through the holes and loosen off (not too much) the bolt head that you can see through the holes.

9) Temporarily plug the window switch unit back in and turn the ignition on. Now hold onto the glass by pushing firmly against it from the outside. Now lower the window. You should hear the window mechanism lowering, but the glass should stay put.

10) Carefully lower the glass within the frame. You will have to rotate the glass in the frame to enable it to be removed. Let the front part of the glass go down and the rear end go up (clockwise from inside the car). Now very carefully pull the glass right up and out of the door. The glass should be removed from the outside of the car.

Don't drop it!!!

HTH

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts