MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
View attachment 138213 View attachment 138214

Small amount of corrosion on the bolt and it becomes almost impossible to remove. Alternator out to change the diode pack. The stupid corrosion added a good hour to the job. lots of wd40 a taps with the hammer. Unfortunately the space in the engine bay means you can only get a 2 inch swing on the hammer. Lots of taps, + lots of wd40. tapping in and out again until it came free. a good clean and plenty of copper grease when I re-install it.
My car lives inside. Left longer, this bolt would be a total mare!
View attachment 138213 View attachment 138214

Small amount of corrosion on the bolt and it becomes almost impossible to remove. Alternator out to change the diode pack. The stupid corrosion added a good hour to the job. lots of wd40 a taps with the hammer. Unfortunately the space in the engine bay means you can only get a 2 inch swing on the hammer. Lots of taps, + lots of wd40. tapping in and out again until it came free. a good clean and plenty of copper grease when I re-install it.
My car lives inside. Left longer, this bolt would be a total mare!
That was so typical of the times- I mean the bright coating to help prevent corrosion. First time I saw those bolts was on a Volvo we bought back in the early eighties. I was pleasantly surprised but not of the body panels. The problem with the Mg alternator, exhaust and oil filter housing is the fact it’s exposed to the worst of weather that we can throw at it. Plus, as described, the access and to and micro swing you can get, even if you did cut the ring spanner down as I did. Bugger of what should be a half hour job including jacking and supporting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts