MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - My 1998 216 GSi seems to have a really niggly annoying problem.
Have two set of immobiliser fobs, and sometimes, you can be a few feet away, and it'll lock / unlock first press of the button.

More often though, you can be pressing away at unlock, and it'll just sit there. Grinning at you. Completely refusing to open, even thought its ******* down with rain.

Batteries in both the fobs have been changed, so realistically, the fobs should be fine.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, eg, I presume theres a nice easy way to access to recieve antenna for the reciever module and make sure its not broken / trapped / eaten?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya,

I have a '95 214 Sei and I have the same problem but couldn't find anything in the forums when I searched.

I tried both fobs, replaced batteries in both and all to no avail.

But I did discover that my fob refuses to lock or unlock only in certain places, and the most obvious common link between those places were radio/phone masts within about 100-200 yards.

On particular place is a car park in my local town, around 100 yards from a tall building bristling with antennae. The fob refused to lock whenever I parked there, and of course when the immobiliser arms it then refused to start. I had to use my unlock code (now burned into memory!) to overide the immobiliser, but that can look dodgy fiddling with the door lock in the middle of a car park!!!!!

If I manage to park on a another car park in the same town, about 300 yards from that building, then it locks and unlocks every time. And I have never had a problem with it working outside my house.

I have simply put it down to interference from the masts 'jamming' my fob signal, and I now park very selectively - i.e. well away from masts or in secluded spots where I can apply the unlock code without looking dubious.

Much better then the lead shield idea I first had!

Don't know whether my fobs/receiver is/are faulty but surely this can't be a common thing, it is just too annoying to have to scan the horizon before I park!!!

Ive

·
Registered
276 Posts
This may sound stupid, but it works!
Try putting the fob by your ear, then press the unlock button. You will find that it works from a greater distance this way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We actually tried it out amongst a few of us last year, one guy was 166 feet away from his ZT and it was locking/unlocking, we just ran out of space to try further, was a good laugh though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts