MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my Rover 25 1.8 remapped from its standard 115bhp to 132bhp soon.

Just wondered if anyone else has had there's done, and what their experiences with it were?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
I think 17 BHP from a remap is very unlikely. I would expect 5-6 BHP top end with a little more mid range torque.

Who is doing this for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
5-6bhp is more like it. depends who and what.

a lot of cash for not much gain. I think you will notice that the car will be easier to drive in the lower rev zone.

My brother has had his cinq sporting chipped, the engine performs very differently now as it has more torque. The car is not much faster with the chip, it allows it to be driven without having to change gear as often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ empsburna, thanks for the constructive input.

I have emailed the company to find out whether it is a replacement chip or simply a remap of my ECU, so just waiting to hear about that. But I've found two companies within 20 miles of where I live, that will chip it in some form or other.

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/ - Will add 10 bhp for £240

http://www.chiptuninguk.com/chiptuning/frames.asp - Will take it to 132 bhp, and I am awaiting the price, but assume it will be £200-£300.



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
Well I know someone who has had their ZS120 done by chip tuning and it made a massive 4bhp difference.

Which given everyone elses experience with the K series is about right.

Their claims are somewhat over exaggerated.

No one has been able to prove such claims unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,101 Posts
Stu said:
Well I know someone who has had their ZS120 done by chip tuning and it made a massive 4bhp difference.

Which given everyone elses experience with the K series is about right.

Their claims are somewhat over exaggerated.

No one has been able to prove such claims unfortunately.
youd be far better spending your money elswhere in most peoples opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did think 17 bhp was quite a lot, but 4 seems incredibly low.
Chips usually add approx 10% bhp on n/a cars, so expecting 15 isn't asking a lot.

I guess I'll just have to see how much it adds when I have it done, I'll post the rollin road results (if they're good lol)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
Actually chips add approximately 10% to turbo'd cars and 5% to NASP cars s a whole.

Expect no more than 5%.

Any more and I'd be inspecting how the rolling road operator frigged the figures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
From the look in your signature, you have the Steptronic CVT.

You should be very aware that gains on the CVT are quite risky, because the CVT itself is very small (take a look next time your under the hood). It is not designed to take much more than 115bhp. Look into an exhaust and an induction kit, but not much more.

Adam
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
It is torque, more than bhp the CVT can't take.

But yes, be careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did wonder if there would be issues with having the auto box, but I also enquired about fitting the engine kit from PowerTrain Projects that takes it up to 140ps, and they said it would be fine with my box.

If I paid to have my car taken to 132 bhp at Chip Tuning and then the dyno read under, could I demand a refund or something similar, as its false advertising?

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
adb_rover25_1.8 said:
If I paid to have my car taken to 132 bhp at Chip Tuning and then the dyno read under, could I demand a refund or something similar, as its false advertising?

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
You could, but it is easy to make a rolling road "lie" if you want. So using an independant RR for before and after runs is the safest bet.

Have you done the basic mods like induction system and exhaust already?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
adb_rover25_1.8 said:
I did wonder if there would be issues with having the auto box, but I also enquired about fitting the engine kit from PowerTrain Projects that takes it up to 140ps, and they said it would be fine with my box.

If I paid to have my car taken to 132 bhp at Chip Tuning and then the dyno read under, could I demand a refund or something similar, as its false advertising?

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Did you specify that it was the Steptronic? They may have thought that it was a normal run-of the mill automatic gearbox, whereas the CVT is very different. It is traditionally used on large sit-on mowers and the like - although i believe it is found in a new Evo/Impreza, albeit a much larger one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used the word 'Stepspeed', not to sure where I got that from, but I guess they knew what I meant.

I don't really want to mod my car much, trying to keep it as standard as possible, and just wanted a bit more power really. So didn't want to go down the loud exhaust and induction kit route. So i thought aftermarket panel air filter, 52mm throttle body and remap would be quite good.

But as everyone has suggested I may be paying around £250 for 4bhp with the remap, so may have to re-consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Goatyman said:
Did you specify that it was the Steptronic? They may have thought that it was a normal run-of the mill automatic gearbox, whereas the CVT is very different. It is traditionally used on large sit-on mowers and the like - although i believe it is found in a new Evo/Impreza, albeit a much larger one!
actually ride-on mowers use an oil driven gearbox called hydrostatic transmission, rather than CVT (which is more commonly associated with high quality variable speed pedestrian mowers such as Hayter/John Deere)

i sell mowers for a living ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Crevice said:
actually ride-on mowers use an oil driven gearbox called hydrostatic transmission, rather than CVT (which is more commonly associated with high quality variable speed pedestrian mowers such as Hayter/John Deere)

i sell mowers for a living ;)
I stand corrected! :D
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top