MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
classic_mg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had cause to remove my engine cover and am now having trouble refitting the 'carpet'. Sorry but I don't know the correct term but I am sure you will all know what I mean.

Mine (MGF Trophy) consists of four layers, the bottom one is some kind of shredded fabric insulating pad. Then two (yes two) layers of hardish rubber sheeting and finally the moulded flock finishing panel. They are all glued together which makes them fairly unmanageable.

The slits in the hard rubber didn't line up very well with the clips but I have trimmed away where it was hindering me operating the clips. It is now back in but the moulded panel has some fairly insightly humps where it won't sit down flat. As it is glued to the rubber, the only way I can think of is to shrink out the raised portion- dampening it or gentle use of a hot air gun???

Any thoughts on this. It may have been like that before I took it out -I don't think so but can't be sure.

I assume new ones are not available. It would help if I knew the correct term to google

·
Registered
875 Posts
There are two layers - a bottom layer which is sound deadening, thick felt and the top layer, which is plastic based which forms the shap of the top. The hardish rubber sheeting that you have in not standard which may expalin your problem.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'd describe them as a top plastic/recycled upper trim, which should be by itself and it the bit you see, with the moulded sections that go over the clips. Mines a grey colour and has warped by sum and dampness/condensation-There sometimes as much water/ice on the INSIDE of my car as the outside windows/screens. Even with the option of the Hardtop-it differs little!
Then there is the bit you are having trouble with which as the earlier post says it a rubberised/plasticised upper material and a felt/sound-deadening lower. This breaks up and the bits that fold up and tuck under the soft-top clips tear off-with age and usage.
Many people have made their own sound-deadening layer out of Cellotex or roof-insulation-
We have had 2 MGTFs here over the years and both have been the same-my sons Trophy was in better condition than my present TF160 but my ones a lot older-02 plate. In the Good old days, one of the carpet underlays was manufactured from very similar material:- I can remember my parents having it before underlay became fashionable/normal. Ive not seen it for years.

·
Registered
classic_mg
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that if I try to separate trim layer from the rest, i will probably destroy it. where could I get a replacement?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
When I read about this some years back (2010?) there was no option to buy. That why people were making their own. It was mainly a sound- deadening problem that was being discussed. I’ve had the misfortune to have to run mine engine cover off and roof up- it’s not a pleasant experience or one I’d recommend!

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
692 Posts
The moulded carpet piece should be separate from the rest. The shredded fibers and the black 'plastic' should be one layer.

I tossed out the shredded fibers and the black 'plastic' and replaced it with reflective bubble insulation.

SAM_3249.JPG SAM_3251.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts