MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Red key is lost i would need some info how i can create or get one?

583 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
Hi people one of my rovers is year 1997 so it had when it was created 1 RED KEY,
2 normal keys,

i dont know how but previous owners lost the red key,
and now i am without 1 key as well,
so i got only 1 genuine key,

i would want to have another 1 genuine key not fake key copy,

my questions is i managed to get a brand new blank key but i dont know who can programm this key to my car since all of the key makers i found can only program fake keys not keys like mine,,, which is genuine with rubber,

also who can issue me a red key?
is there a possibility black/blank key to be made to red key somehow ? reprogrammed or something let me know i urgently need 1 red key so i can make keys for my self : )
all day long thanks.

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry about the red key - they are needed for emergency programming of new keys/fobs if the existing ones are both lost, but they are specific to the car that they were supplied with, so you can't use one from another 600, and I doubt if you would find a new complete ecu/key/fob set either after all these years (and would be very expensive if you could find one). They are also very dangerous to use - they effectively wipe the ecu clean of all codes for existing keys, so if you can't get the new keys to code for some reason, you are totally and permanently immobilised.

If you have one genuine key that works, and also have a brand new genuine Rover key, I would expect any decent auto locksmith to be able to clone the existing key onto the new key to give you two working keys - this certainly seemed to be the case a few years ago - see this thread from 2009: red key for all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.