MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all rover 75 drivers, i was driving home from work today when i saw my temp gauge in the red (with the light on) stoped the car a.s.ap and let the car cool down, as sone as i set off again the temp went straight to red, free wheeled my way home to find that my coolent level was very low added 2.5L of water to the car all is ok now..

There is no leaking water anywere is this normal for a rover 75 1.8t

Please note car is 2years old and this is the first real time i have checked the coolen't level

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Hopefully you shut off before any damage occured. You must keep checking that coolant....at the very least once a week.

How many miles has the car done mate?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MattL said:
Hopefully you shut off before any damage occured. You must keep checking that coolant....at the very least once a week.

How many miles has the car done mate?
18,000 miles turned her off straight away...

do the rover's use a lot of water as i have never filled a car up before :(

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
nezzey said:
Calling all rover 75 drivers, i was driving home from work today when i saw my temp gauge in the red (with the light on) stoped the car a.s.ap and let the car cool down, as sone as i set off again the temp went straight to red, free wheeled my way home to find that my coolent level was very low added 2.5L of water to the car all is ok now..

There is no leaking water anywere is this normal for a rover 75 1.8t

Please note car is 2years old and this is the first real time i have checked the coolen't level
Not normal and the coolant may have leaked out over a long period so that you wouldn't really notice it.

Could be a range of things. Most important to not drive the car 'til you know or you could damage the engine big time.

2 yrs old-is it still under warranty then? If so dealer. If not then check water pump (they do go), expansion tank cap (can leak and cause problems), radiator and hoses etc. The coolant is an orange colour so have a good all round check for orange stains on rad, hoses etc.

Not likely but do check no oil in the coolant or water in your oil (head gasket failure)-turns oil into a mayonnaise.

hth and good luck

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeM said:
Take it to your Dealer under warranty. The 75 doesn't use any quantity of coolant unless its leaking somewhere.

Mike
Brown stains on one of the hoses i bet its been leaking over a long period of time, engine oil is clear as a whistle. thanks it most be that

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MattL said:
could be airlocks from a bad fill....or a leak somewhere
found some brown stains on one of the hoses i bet it has been leaking from there, bloody hell was getting well worked up,

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
nezzey said:
Am I reading this correctly? You haven't checked the coolant for two years and just relied on the two services to do it? :yikes:

Do you check oil levels/brake fluid levels etc? or just leave it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ken75 said:
Am I reading this correctly? You haven't checked the coolant for two years and just relied on the two services to do it? :yikes:

Do you check oil levels/brake fluid levels etc? or just leave it?
Nope always check oil leave the rest to the service boys....will always check from now on,,,,

Found the leak one of the hoses is comming lose sone sort that out...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MikeM said:
Pleased it was simple for you...........

Regards

Mike
Thanks mike
got them 18" wheels of ebay for £536 what a bargain just fitted them the rover has been pimped (it looks cool as)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MikeM said:
:lol:

Show us the pimpmobile pics!

Mike :)
Not taken any yet as only just fitted them will take some at the weekend, big wheel archers have gone yehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
nezzey said:
Need your help mike you know i got them wheels off ebay where can i get the centre caps from (help mike) :_poke:

Which wheels are they? i.e what is the MGR name for them? If you don't know send me a link to the ebay page..............

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MikeM said:

Which wheels are they? i.e what is the MGR name for them? If you don't know send me a link to the ebay page..............

Regards

Mike
At work They are the zt 18" 15 spoke type

Getting very upset as can not find any hub caps for these wheels :guns3:

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
As they are ZT specific wheels it is likely that the caps available will have MG on them. You should be able to get a set of these from an MGR dealer.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MikeM said:
As they are ZT specific wheels it is likely that the caps available will have MG on them. You should be able to get a set of these from an MGR dealer.

hth

Mike
How much do you think they are???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts