MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a while since I've posted on here, had quite a bit to deal with but think I'm over it all now :p

Got bored one afternoon so decided to give the MGF a bit of a clean. Dad being dad, he armed with... Wilkinsons own brand polish! Yay!

Anyway gave it a good clean and a polish, which took about 3 hours in total, but can't help but feel I should use something a bit better next time I clean it. I thought I'd ask for some recommendations, seeing as how some polishes probably work better on BRG MGFs than others?

So, if someone could please recommend (or loads of recommendations and some debate, I don't mind either way!) some bits to :

a) Clean
b) Make shiny (as shiny as possible :D)
c) Do anything else you would recommend to the paintwork

... the MGF, that would be excellent :p

I don't want to spend a fortune but if you do it right, you do it less often, and also if you are going to spend 3 hours polishing it, you may as well do it with the right ingredients!

Also, the exhaust tailpipes - any recommendation on what to shine those up with? Mum has taken the car to work today so I can't remember exactly what state they were in but from when I washed and polished the car I'm sure there was no real 'rust', just a very dull finish.

Cheers all :)

EDIT] Thought I may as well stick a small picture on here, seeing as how it's not 'amazing', just 'nice and shiny'! Taken about 7:30pm on Tuesday. When it's had a 'proper' clean and shine with the right stuff I'll add much better pictures :p

·
Registered
881 Posts
looks nice to me, but if you want to give it the once over for a reasonable price, then thread about Meguiars quick clay will be a good start for surface prep.
then any good polish like Autoglym or megs polish and waxes are good and give a lasting shine.

Also Turtlewax nanotech tyre gel applied with a paint brush brings the tyres up like its just rolled out of the show room and wont spin off like many sprays.

Also I used brasso on the wifes KA tail pipe. - comes up lovely

·
Registered
mgf
97 Posts
That looks fantastic...

I personally use the following after a wash

Meg Quik Clay
AG SRP
AG EGP
Megs Nxt Gen Wax (its not actually a wax its synthetic but does the same thing)

If you prefer a real wax try Megs Gold class.. it gives that wet look on your paint. AG ultra deep shine is also good as a polish/wax as it has many oils in it and gives that deep gloss on darker vehicles. SRP is the best all rounder polish though for the price...

All of these items are available for reasonable prices and provide good protection for up to 6 months. Its well worth spending 6-8 hours once every 6 months than spending 1-2 hours every month.

If you havent used clay before there are heaps of guides out that you should look at first. Claying removes surface contaminants that sit on the surface of your paint (tree sap and tar the most popular).

It strips these from the surface of your clear coat giving you a mirror surface to polish on. This stops these contaminants from being polished into the paints surface creating more scatches.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Looking nice and shiny, but for that extra touch, I'd say:

Wash with Chemical Guys Extreme Wash and Wax. Smells nice and is very concentrated. Use a lambswool wash mitt too.:)

Then clay with Megs Quik Clay. Great for beginners. I clayed my car for the first time last week. This was easy to use and gives a great finish ready for polish. But use lots of lube!

Then a couple of layers of Super Resin Polish. Really is great stuff!

Then top of with a wax. I use Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax Blue. It's great for darker coloured cars, like yours. And again, smells nice! :)

Chemical Guys Wheel Guard on your wheels will bring them up nice and shiny, and as for tyres, I use Turtlewax wet 'n' black which is great, although I have heard and seen good results from nanotech tyre gel.

As for your tail pipes, you can either use brass, as suggested, or go for Solvol Autosol or AG Metal polish. Will all require topping off with a wax to keep nice and shiny and protected.

HTH

Rich.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Try a glaze after the SRP, glazes contain no real abrasives or fillers but are full of conditioning oils and really bring the richness back to the paint. Try Megs Show Car Glaze, then top if off with some gold class wax and for a tougher finish apply a thin layer of synthetic sealant to keep all the hard work locked in.
As for tailpipes, Autosol all the way, bloody good stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts