MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acquired a 1999 MGF 1.8 VVC a while ago that had been seriously messed with, so brother and I are in the process of rebuilding it almost from the ground up! We have now installed the wiring harness with help of various wiring diagrams but have two bits causing confusion.
1. On the positive battery cable we have a six inch heavy duty brown cable taped to the main cable. It has a large female spade at one end and a ring tag at the other - we can't find anything that it should attach to!!!!.
2. In the "under bonnet fuse box" there is a single blade connection - we've sorted the six links and the seven fuses in a line but can't find anything to connect to a single blade???

We have now manged to connect most tings and haven manged to turn of the alarm etc and get the engine to turn over nicely on the key. Now heading towards connecting cooling pipes and fuel system.

I am sure there will be other mysteries to follow but any help on explaining the two items above would be most appreciated. Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
mg_tf
19 Posts
On my MGTF I have a similar heavy brown cable probably 6mm in diameter. This is the main positive feed to the fuse box under the bonnet. From your description does one end of your cable connect to the battery positive and the other spade end go into the fuse box.

·
Registered
mgf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. We have connected the long heavy duty positive cable and the cable from the fuse box. The cable in question is the same diameter but has a ring connector at one end presumably to connect to the battery terminal, and a large female spade at the other. It is only a short cable and there doesn't seem to be anything in the area to connect it to. That is what is puzzling. Hopefully by the end of the build we will find something to attach the cable to!!!! Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
mg_tf
117 Posts

This is the heavy brown wire from battery +ve to the terminal in the fusebox. Indicated by white pen top. There is a smaller brown cable as part of the loom that goes to one of the individual fuses in the fusebox.

·
Registered
mgf
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. We have I think the big brown wire. (Brother is double checking against you picture tomorrow!) But comparing the wires in the sockets (outputs???)against the wiring diagram we have a full complement of brown wires. We seem to be missing a brown/white wire but can't find it on the loom. There was a suggestion that it may not have one because the car doesn't have air con, BUT all the wires in the loom for air con are there so why would this one be missing????

With regard to the six inch cable there is a thought that it may have been attached somewhere at the starter motor end and slipped down the cable - however I still can't find anything to attach it to at that end. The wiring diagram only shows two power cable connections at the starter end - one for the starter solenoid power, the other for the alternator. We have both those in place.

The mystery goes on!!! Always a nightmare trying to out other peoples cock ups. Just need MORE COFFEE!!!
Thanks to all. Cheers Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts