1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one
i am asking for advice about my rear washer pipe on my rover 25
i think the pipe has come off as it was working then it stopped and now water is coming in the boot.
i tried to get the plastic cover off ( on the tail gate) by undoing the 2 screws but it wont come off?
do you have to just pop it off
thanks
david

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

This is a very common problem. To remove the internal tailgate panel, you have to remove the two screws as you have done then pull the panel off the bootlid. It's held on by several clips and does take a fair amount of force to remove. I'd advise wearing gloves when you do it to avoid hurting yourself on the sharp plastic. Once you have the panel off, it will be obvious if the problem's there.

Another source of the problem is where the water pipe enters the bootlid. This happened on my 200 and is an easy fix. If you open the boot and look towards the hinges at the top, either side you will see a pair of flexible rubber boots. The one on the right is for the wiring and the one on the left is for the water pipe. Pull the rubber boot back and you should see the water pipe. If you don't, or if the pipe is very slack, then there is your problem. Over time the pipe wears and breaks so every time you operate the rear wash wipe, you end up filling the boot or tailgate with washer water. The solution is to get some aquarium filter piping from a pet shop (only a couple of £ with the connectors) and reconnect the two broken ends. I would advise wrapping the pipe with some gaffer tape where it passes into the bootlid to prevent it happening again. Job done
HTH

·
Registered
rover_25
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear Wash Pipe

Thanks for the quick reply.
i will have a go at that tonight and post a reply tomorrow
thanks again
David

·
Registered
rover_25
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rear wash wipe pipe

thanks for the advice earlier
i took the cover off and the pipe was still conected so i took it off and tried it and water came out so i put it back and nothing.
i then gave the 2 nozzels a good clean and moved them round a full 360 degrees, tried it and working fine must have been clogged up
re adjusted them back on to the window and still ok
pushed the cover back on and all sorted
i didnt want to take it to my local rover dealer and get charged an arm and a leg.
it was just the cover that was puzzling me ?. i didn't want to break it
thanks again
David

·
Registered
mg_zr
898 Posts
i canr find the other end from the boot lid??? i think its worked its way down ,ive only got the end from the car itself ,how can i find the other end??

·
Registered
rover_25
175 Posts
hey my spray only gets halfway up the rear window, so it's pretty useless for washing it, i'd have thought it'd cover as far as the wiper reaches

or is mine the same as everyones

cheers

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
i canr find the other end from the boot lid??? i think its worked its way down ,ive only got the end from the car itself ,how can i find the other end??
Not 100% sure but I think it goes through the interior of the car. Look where the hole is on the boot and line it up inside your car and see whats in the way and remove it
hey my spray only gets halfway up the rear window, so it's pretty useless for washing it, i'd have thought it'd cover as far as the wiper reaches

or is mine the same as everyones

cheers
Get a pin and poke the hole of the washer jet and remove any dirt thats in the way and try again. If the pressure is too low, then you may have have an air lock or the pump is going

·
Registered
rover_25
175 Posts
okay cheers i will try the pin thing now before i leave, and go too my mates garage when he fits the exhaust and ask him too have a gander and see if he can sort it if it still plays up

·
Registered
rover_25
172 Posts
Right, I've got this problem too. I've had the rear panel off of the tailgate and all looks ok under there. The pipe is connected and not blocked. Next I took the rubber boot off near the hinge: bingo. No pipe. I fished about and found the tailgate-end of the pipe, but the rest of it must be inside the car.

Where does the pipe go (down the pillar and under carpet or through the roof?) Also, the amount of pipe I've got at the tailgate end is quite long, so I'm thinking it's broken quite far into the car. How would I go about gaining access to it?

·
Registered
rover_25
172 Posts
I think it goes under the carpet so you gotta start pulling up those carpets
Damn >.<' I think I'll hang fire for the time-being then since I'm gonna have to take the carpet up next week anyways to wire in my amplifier (not looking forward to that but the results will be worth it)

·
Registered
366 Posts
mine goes through the left rubber tube on the hinge side of the boot and crosses over onto the right where it is connected behind the bumper to the tank

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Damn >.<' I think I'll hang fire for the time-being then since I'm gonna have to take the carpet up next week anyways to wire in my amplifier (not looking forward to that but the results will be worth it)
It's not that hard.

Lift up the seal which is what holds the carpet in place and carefully remove; you don't want to rip it.

·
Registered
rover_25
172 Posts
Thanks. Still not looking forward to it and I may as well still wait until wiring in the amp, as I want it's wires to run under the carpet too.

·
Registered
rover_25
172 Posts
Mine doesnt work, but I have just got a gaping hole on the top left of boot, could that be my problem??
Heh, that'd be the problem alright! The pipe will have snapped, same as on mine. Remove the tailgate cover and see just how far in the pipe has snapped, that should help to locate how far into the car to look.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The pipe is behind the right hand side cover inside the boot. You can cut it and join a new length and run it through the boot. I had to do this exact same thing. No point running it under the whole car. I had to join mine using a 90degree bend as there were no straight ones availbel.

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
alternate to broken pipe

i had similar problems with my 200 when i bought it, turned out to be a broken pipe at the top of the bootlid, repaired that and it still didnt work.
fortunately i had just bought a little ultrasonic bath meant for jewellery and wanted to try it out. dropped the washer jets in and a couple of minutes later the water was black but the jets were clear.
then changed car and my new (04 but new to me) MG had the same problem, did the jets and it works again. ultrasonic baths are also really good for getting the side repeaters clean (almost impossible even with a bottle brush)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts