MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps....

The rear sunblind on my 99' Connoisseur SE doesn't seem to work....

I've had the car for a couple of months now, and to be honest I haven't even tried it in all that time....Until today!

The manual basically says "To operate the electric sunblind, push the button"....I do that, and all I get is a faint click from the rear shelf area. I've had a look, and there's definately a blind there, but You can't extend it manually.

How is it supposed to work then? There don't appear to be any channels for it to run in, or any means of securing it when extended? How does it stay rigid?

Any ideas? :O

·
Registered
463 Posts
It works by two arms folding out bringing the blind with it. The arms when open keep it rigid until you press the button again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Perhaps its just stuck from lack of use. How about giving it a tug while someone operates the switch for you. I use mine all the time but have noticed that cars you see with them fiited rarely have them up.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Haven't had to do it myself, but I think the common fix was to give the underside of the parcle shelf and good belting with something......:twak:

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
It works by two arms folding out bringing the blind with it. The arms when open keep it rigid until you press the button again
just bought a mg zt and loving it. when I bought it I did not realize it had a sun blind just saw it today after 2weeks of driving now my problem is have no idea where this switch to operate it is .Somebody help me on this please

·
Registered
196 Posts
just bought a mg zt and loving it. when I bought it I did not realize it had a sun blind just saw it today after 2weeks of driving now my problem is have no idea where this switch to operate it is .Somebody help me on this please
not all of them are electric. there will be a switch on the panel under the heating controls if yours is.
otherwise there will be brackets on the rear pillars to clip the blind to when you pull the blind up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Haven't had to do it myself, but I think the common fix was to give the underside of the parcle shelf and good belting with something......:twak:
The blind in my connie stopped working for some reason & i used your method. I wonder if its some sort of park switch that is the problem.

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
not all of them are electric. there will be a switch on the panel under the heating controls if yours is.
otherwise there will be brackets on the rear pillars to clip the blind to when you pull the blind up.
have checked mine and it is definately electrical as I noticed the fold up arms that support the blind when it rises.i have tried pulling it out and it seems so tight,I can see cables running in to the blind beginning to think that previous owner possibly changed the heating panel which had the switch

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
is the manual blind hidden into the parcel shelf or is it fitted on top .There do not seem to be any hooks to hold up the blind and it is so hard to pull out of the parcel shelf

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mine sometimes wont open first time when I press the button!. It sometimes needs either a gentle press down (I mean the top of the blind itself on parcel shelf!) as my daughter presses the button a few times! Other times it may just need the button pressing a few times!
I saw this post yesterday.and gingerly pressed the button..it worked first time! It seems (at least on mine anyway!) as long as you use this button quite often! it works OK. Im sure Ive read on here about lubing it too?

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
if you have a saloon then it's electric, there is no manual override, there are no locating hooks
confirmed it is definately electrical but still cant locate the operating switch ,it is not under the climate controls,why would they factory fit this and not include a switch to operate it?Do you know where i can buy the switch from if it comes to that

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it's not standard then, we're talking rear window blinds here in the parcel shelf, they did not do a none electric one
not standard as not mg ? it couldnt possibly fit an estate ??

Maybe it was fitted afterwards but its genuine mg, this just prooves not all blinds in saloons are electric.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts