MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
just need a little bit of advice.

Last week my back brakes and reverse lights and after checking the fuse, I noticed that it has gone and picked up a replacements for 49p.

I've also noticed two other things not working but I need some help:

The back window screen wash is not coming out, I can hear the noise for mechanism but there is no fluid coming out. I've topped up my screen wash reserviour.

Possible causes? Blockage or something else [i've checked the fuse and its fine

The spoiler brake light also does not appear to be working. I don't know where the fuse is located for this. Possible bulb or something else?

Thanks in advance
Wayne

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Coomon problem is the wiring passing through the tailgate, you will see the shroud for these wires when you have the tailgate open, pull it back and check that the wiring is intact and that the tube for the water isnt severed.

A quick bit of DIY will remedy these problems.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coomon problem is the wiring passing through the tailgate, you will see the shroud for these wires when you have the tailgate open, pull it back and check that the wiring is intact and that the tube for the water isnt severed.

A quick bit of DIY will remedy these problems.
sorry please can you explain a bit more may sound a bit dumb of me.

I opened the boot and i can see there is two black wire covers on either side. One containing no wires from what i can feel and the other looks fine.

Is this the right place?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The back window screen wash is not coming out, I can hear the noise for mechanism but there is no fluid coming out. I've topped up my screen wash reserviour.
About 100mm back from the outlet on your back screen is a one way valve (ball on a spring type thing). This will not take too kindly to gunck. Take the rear internal trip apart to reveal the tube and valve. Pop the valve off and clean it out. Put it all back together and problem sorted.

While you have it all out give the whole thing a good clean out. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had same problem on my 214Si (Bubble) and also a soggy boot compartment. What happened was that the tube that carries the fluid had shrunk slightly and pulled apart at the join where the boot door hinge is. Common problem apparently. The pump ran, but the water was basically being squirted into the boot space.

To fix it I removed the inner panels on the back of the boot door. Removed the black rubber sock from the passenger side of the boot hinge. If you look/feel around the openings you will hopefully find the loose ends of the tube (if this is the fault). Rejoin the two ends and seal with some Duck tape or similar.

Worked for me.
Lee

·
Registered
211 Posts
The two black "wire covers" (as you put it) are where the problems usually are. The left one actually houses the water pipe, with the right one housing the wires. It's worth checking both sides, as this is where many problems of this type occur.

It should be obvious if the problems are there - the wires will be worn and the pipe will either be split or loose.

If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the water pipe by the hinge, then the problem could be by the wiper motor. Take off the trim on the inside of the bootlid by the rear wiper. The trim is held on by two screws and a load of clips (remove the screws then pull. It takes a fair amount of force but don't worry - the plastic is surprisingly sturdy. You may want to wear gloves for it (sharp plastic)). When you have the trim off disconnect the water pipe from the wiper motor and see if any water comes from it when you run the rear wash then. If it does, then there's a blockage in where the water passes to go through the wiper motor (try liberal amounts of WD40). The other possibility is the two nozzles where the water comes from on the wiper have a bit too much crud in them. Poke a pin through there to dislodge any dirt if so.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The two black "wire covers" (as you put it) are where the problems usually are. The left one actually houses the water pipe, with the right one housing the wires. It's worth checking both sides, as this is where many problems of this type occur.

It should be obvious if the problems are there - the wires will be worn and the pipe will either be split or loose.

If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the water pipe by the hinge, then the problem could be by the wiper motor. Take off the trim on the inside of the bootlid by the rear wiper. The trim is held on by two screws and a load of clips (remove the screws then pull. It takes a fair amount of force but don't worry - the plastic is surprisingly sturdy. You may want to wear gloves for it (sharp plastic)). When you have the trim off disconnect the water pipe from the wiper motor and see if any water comes from it when you run the rear wash then. If it does, then there's a blockage in where the water passes to go through the wiper motor (try liberal amounts of WD40). The other possibility is the two nozzles where the water comes from on the wiper have a bit too much crud in them. Poke a pin through there to dislodge any dirt if so.

Hope that helps.
This is what happened to mine, hose broke on the hinge and was pumping washer fluid into the wheel arch. Used some air hose from my fish tank (new hose i may add), joined it all together and works a treat. If it has been like it for a while then some muck may have formed in the nozzles and will need to be cleared with either a pin or some compressed air maybe. Definitley an easy fix, more frustrating than anything to diagnose what is at fault.

HTH

·
Registered
211 Posts
With mine there was a *massive* blockage within the wiper motor. I had to remove the motor, spray tons od WD40 into it, dislodge bits with stiff wire, and even had to use a pressure hose to eventually get the blockage to shift (you should have seen the amount of crap that came out of it).

·
Registered
118 Posts
i used everything on my rear washer motor to try and dislodge the crap that was stuck in it (wd40, pressure hose everytime i washed the car, mr muscle plughole unblocker, wire, pins etc etc...) but never managed it.

I bought a new motor from a bloke on this forum for a tenner! problem solved! keep an eye out for someone breaking!

edit: I gotta start looking at the previous post dates! sorry guys!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It could also be the pump.

Remove the rubber seal where the car body enters the tailgate and get someone to run the pump.

you will be able to tell if water is moving through or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts