MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything you can get to protect the rear screen when the hood is down? When i put my hood back up yesterday after having it down all weekend i noticed a very slight 'scuffing' from where it was unzipped and the hood was sat on it, also what is that cleaner stuff that brings the rear screen up looking nice and spangly, and would it remove the scuff?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
First up - Screen cleaner = Greygate Plastic polish. Approx £6.00 a bottle (and it'll last for ages and ages, i'm still on my first one after 6 years or so!) Available from the MGCC and the 'usual suspects' ;)

Next - Mike Satur used to (still does?) sell a 'screen saver'. This is a large vinyl 'envelope' with a fleece lining that velcros to the parcel shelf carpet. You open it and then lay the unzipped rear screen inside, then you fold the top half of the screen saver over sandwiching the rear screen in the fleecey niceness. The top half of the screen saver has velcro up the sides to stick it to the sides of the unzipped screen and then you drop the hood on top. Pretty good idea, i have one and it's great. :)

EDIT: Good link Straffs.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Paula

I also use the MS protector.

An alternative would be a BRG towel with Tan patterns. Must be something in the cupboard or a horsey place in the forest?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
First up - Screen cleaner = Greygate Plastic polish. Approx £6.00 a bottle (and it'll last for ages and ages, i'm still on my first one after 6 years or so!) Available from the MGCC and the 'usual suspects'
Scarlet, who are the usual suspects?????
And also this polish is to use it regularly or just when the screen gets milky....????

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sprinter said:
Paula

I also use the MS protector.

An alternative would be a BRG towel with Tan patterns. Must be something in the cupboard or a horsey place in the forest?
TBO i usually use a towel, but i was in a rush and didnt bother this time, so only have myself to blame!!:guns3: Have given myself a good telling off!!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
PERRY-MGTF said:
Scarlet, who are the usual suspects?????
And also this polish is to use it regularly or just when the screen gets milky....????
Perry

Greygate certainly was on the Brown & Gammon site.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I've got an MS protector works really well... one point, I clean my rear screen with the same polish I use for the car... it works brilliantly (autoglym), I have a horrible sneaky suspicion that its the same stuff as the screen cleaning stuff (I think this was mentioned sometime ago on here) ?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Autoglym super Resin polish has been used successfully by others, but it isn't the same stuff (as the Super Resin 'stains' the hood fabric more than the Greygate if you are a bit over enthusiastic with your polishing! :lol: )

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys going to def get myself one, and as i have run out of car shampoo im gonna spend a forutune on some of the stuff youve all recommended, im glad bank holidays dont come round too often, my bank balance couldnt hack it!!!:shake:

Trying to talk myself out of ordering walnut airbag blank and heater surrounds at the mo!!:bigeyes:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Meguiars isn't really that expensive - as I tried to convince Lyn. We (I) went out the other day and spent just £53 on shampoo, polish, tyre paint, polish applicators, polishing cloths, drying towels. That lasted until the next weekend when I 'topped up' with another £36.

I can't believe that I gave in to their advertising and bought Terry Towelling to dry the car "with satin bound edges to avoid scratching"; micro fibre drying towel that absorbs 12 times its own weight in water; micro fibre polishing cloth.

But, the first results were suberb. The yellow drying cloth really was better than the chamois that I have used over the past 35 years. The microfibre polishing off cloth really did make easy work of the job. The polished finish drew praise from most of the neighbours. The freshly cleaned alloys were set off perfectly by the tyre dressing.

A couple of hours later I woke up.

It hadn't been a dream, I just passed out after the effort followed by a glass of Tobermory.

Next decision is what to do with the bag full of old t-shirts that we keep for car & bike cleaning. Some of the seams look a bit rough and could de untold damage to freshly polished surfaces.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sprinter said:
The yellow drying cloth really was better than the chamois that I have used over the past 35 years. .
I've never had a chamois last more than a year what the secret?

MikeS

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
MikeS said:
I've never had a chamois last more than a year what the secret?

MikeS
Sorry Mike, I was using the French form of plural (is there an icon for a string of onions or a Gaulois haze).

I must have bought enough leathers to cover the alps over the years. Before I became outrageously wealthy I used to rip leathers apart on the rusty wings of various cars. Couple that with leaving them hanging up to over dry gave them a very short life. AutoGlym artificial leathers seem to last well. But these yellow things seem just about right - not only do they appear to work but anybody walking past recognises that you really know your stuff (provided they have a car and have heard of Meguiars of course).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sprinter said:
Sorry Mike, I was using the French form of plural (is there an icon for a string of onions or a Gaulois haze). QUOTE]

Yes i know I was only joking. I use a Flexy Blade :yikes: (oops SOG moment forgotten what it's called :shake: ) but to get rid our the surface water it's really quick & I can't see any scratching, Then finish it off with the Chamois.

MikeS

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
MikeS said:
Sprinter said:
Sorry Mike, I was using the French form of plural (is there an icon for a string of onions or a Gaulois haze). QUOTE]

Yes i know I was only joking. I use a Flexy Blade :yikes: (oops SOG moment forgotten what it's called :shake:
I hoped you were joking - if you had been serious I would have considered discussing the future of your SOG membership with Pete.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
You obviously get on OK with the blade type. I tried it a couple of times and then leant it to a neighbour and never saw it again.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sprinter said:
I hoped you were joking - if you had been serious I would have considered discussing the future of your SOG membership with Pete.
Thats rich I started the club only gave it your name as senior member

MikeS

1 - 20 of 45 Posts