MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my TF up in the air to fix a few MOT failure items, notably rear wheel bearing play on both sides, only to find the hub nuts hadn't been steaked/staked and had worked loose. Now they're tightened and sorted and the car sailed through the MOT test without even an advisory. Hurrah (he says), BUT...
Now I have a knocking noise coming from the back of the car, frequency increases with speed and it doesn't seem to be there until the car has warmed up (although this could be my imagination). Any ideas from the forum would be most welcome. Could the loose hubnuts have damaged the bearings / driveshaft?

Rich

·
Registered
mg_tf
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, interesting. There's no play or movement in them when its on the ground but I'll definitely stick a jack under the car tomorrow and have another look. All the movement I could find was the inboard (gearbox) end of the nearside driveshaft which moves in and out a mm or so, is that normal?

·
Registered
mg_tf
140 Posts
The drive shafts are retained by a split ring that engages in a groove. There will be a small amount of movement of the shaft when engaged. A mm or so sounds normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts