MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, ive been saving for a re-spray for my 200. i found the perfect place to get it sprayed at a reasonable price however the bloke said if i want a flip paint that would be fine however it would be best if i could get the paint to do it. ive found the right colour and its £183 per litre. does anyone know how much is gonna be needed to spray a 200 assuming it will just have the average amount of coats.
thanks

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
It depends hwo in depth a respray you have i.e. are you including the door jams, under bonnet etc. IIRC, you'll need about 5 litres but I may well be wrong.

Think very very carefully about whether you want a flip paint job before taking the plunge. It will look immaculate as first but matching the paint at a later stage is near impossible if you need to make any repairs or touch-ups. Don't expect to gain any value on the car - it may well lose value as a prospective buyer may be put off by it.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
I'd go for something more subtle then a flip personally, as rlxs says, it can put people off, and you have to go through the hassle of changing the V5 etc etc. I'd go for a new twist on your original colour...e.g. Green with a gold base would give an interesting finish, or how about some serious metal flake?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ye i see were you are comming from i think an nice candy with some flake is a better option "much cheaper" just thinking of spendin all tht hard earned cash on a flip when if i get scratched i cnt get it repared thnks

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Good choice :)
There's loads of different shades of colours remember, so there's a degree of artistic license on your V5.
You can't beat the pop and sparkle of a good flake!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
'Flip' paints are great, but as has been mentioned, kiss goodbye to repairing scratches / stone chips. It is also near impossible to respray a panel and get it matching the rest.

That's a good price for the paint btw! Don't forget it will need a particular basecoat and lacquer(sp?).

If you want it, go for it, it does look good, or your 'more sensible' alternative is a metal flake.:)

Rich.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You've got to go for the flip. I mean how many cars do you see now-a-days that have been flip painted....not many so if you want to stand out get a good flip.As for paint im sure mine only needed about 1 1/2 litres of black base coat (all flips are done on a dark base coat) and about the same for the flip paint.
heres my old 1:

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
1.5-2 litres of paint will do a full respray, most basecoats have to be thinned 3:1 with thinners.

There will also be the clearcoat lacquer, usually a 2-pack product, which is also mixed in a ratio of 3:1 lacquer - hardener.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
i dont no for sure but im sure its around 5-10 litres
:lol:

i dont know but i do know. ;)

Doesnt it depends on the flip paint. Some require more layers. :dunno:

As a guide. I just used 1/4 a litlre doing a front splitter, front bumper and grill. Has a little left but not much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts