MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When MG Rover launch RDX60 next year (They will launch it, come what may), what car should they use as a benchmark car?

My own personal view is that they should use the Ford Focus for every benchmark, except the exterior looks.

What do you think?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Agree 100%. The Focus is a fine car in every department... except the way it looks where it is totally outclassed by the new Astra.

Regards

John

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
The Focus and the new Golf. Maybe the A3 also, but its not in the same mainstream as the Golf/Focus/Astra though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't think they should use any as a bench mark - forget what's on offer and produce something new exciting that will evolve what is on offer at the moment. The TCV did that, another 5 door hatch doesn't.

I think they should definately be worried about the next generation Honda Civic. Honda already produce good reliable cars, this car is going to better that and better the competition.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
but the a3 is a golf as is the leon and octavia so in theory they are all benchmark cars, as they are the same car..

but in my opinion the focus and astra because a golf is expensive and a bit of a higher rung on the ladder compared to the other two

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Definately Focus and Astra

Renault / Pug / Citroen / Seat / Fiat / Skoda are not relevant, their cars are nowhere near as good as these two.

Golf / A3 / BMW 1 are also irrelevant, Bratwurst loving, Tiny penis'd arrogant ***** would buy them if they looked like they were styled by kids. Wait a minute.....

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
the new chasis on the ford focus leaves the handling of it lagging behind the older focus so any improvement on that should look good. on the bright side for rover though, ive started to see quite a few new shape 45's kicking about over the last couple of weeks. maybe a rise in sales after the christmas drought?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
It should be a Golf + more if it is even going to think about being able to compete. This car needs to be successful, nothing less will do...

Either that or the new Honda Civic...

·
Registered
260 Posts
If they used to say the 75 the best front wheeled car in the world then i expect the new car to take this slogan!! so it better be better than the Golf,Focus,Astra and anything ever made before!!!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
With the ZS sporting a mad turbocharged 2.5 KV6 with 260P's, as well as a lightweight coposite aluminium Chassis. It has to be if it is even going to dream about keeping with up with the new Civic Type R.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Rover should set new standards. IMHO saftey is a growing concern amongst car buyers. Rover should make it's car the safest by a country mile. Especially for babies. No I haven't gone all soppy but ponder this. Women increasingly have the final say on which car a household will buy. Young women starting a family want a baby and toddler safe car. So does grandmar. The solution is to offer built in baby seats. Then simply run crash tests featuring little sprogs. How many women would allow hubby to buy a dangerous car?

MG on the other hand should say sod this, strip out the airbags and spend the money on a supercharged KV6!!!!!! :)

Rover = Saftey
MG = Dangerous! (in a good way)

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
EssexMGR said:
When MG Rover launch RDX60 next year (They will launch it, come what may), what car should they use as a benchmark car?

My own personal view is that they should use the Ford Focus for every benchmark, except the exterior looks.

What do you think?

I 100% agree. The focus is imo a better car than the new Golf it's a pity that the styling of the Focus is not quite as edgy as before. However the Golf looks lame.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Actually, I think the benchmark should be a car from the class above the RDX/60.

In other words, build a car with similar amounts of interior space to a VW Passat or a Ford Mondeo, with a quality distinctive interior and ride to match the best in that class.

Then when prospective customers look around the new car, they see a car that is a league apart from the Astras, the Golfs and the Focuses.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Yes, I agree, build the car so that it is better than it's antagonists. The trouble is how much will that cost? The same or more as BMW so it will.

And Rover selling at the same price as BMW... who will win?

OK so that may be a negative thought; but just to get things back to reality with the pound inflating faster than the euro who is going to buy a car more expensive than it's BMW counterparts; and without the cache?

·
Registered
412 Posts
It certainly seems a good idea that they get the quality and 'feel' of the car aimed at more expensive motors. IMO thats what the 75 is like. But what is important is that they dont make this car a strange size. It needs to be astra/focus sized.

Saying that how big is the new focus.... as big as a ZS/45 5 door? Feels it!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Attempting to selling it would help. If they do get round to it they should take a long hard look at the new Civic cos the usual suspects will suddenly look very dated.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
S4RK1 said:
It certainly seems a good idea that they get the quality and 'feel' of the car aimed at more expensive motors. IMO thats what the 75 is like. But what is important is that they dont make this car a strange size. It needs to be astra/focus sized.

Saying that how big is the new focus.... as big as a ZS/45 5 door? Feels it!
Yeah you are right, I think they would hit the nail on the head, if they gave RDX60 or Nexus the same type of quality as the 75.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Exactly 75 levels of trim and quality will make it feel special. The focus golf etc are good quality in terms of they dont really rattle and everything feels solid, but the 75 is a totally different kettle of fishes. Its in the design the materials the fit and the finnish, which on all the 75s I have been in is as good as some far more expensive cars that I have been in. This might not be cheap to do but, this car NEEDS to be right!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah it does. The 75/ZT has always been a cut above. Let's hope they take that approach with Nexus.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts