MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I recently bought Rover 75 1.8T (2003, pre-facelift, 53.000km, LH).
Just yesterday, after coming back from work, I noticed some strange noise coming from under the bonnet.
The noise is like constant tick-tock, but very noticable and vibrating.
I looked and listened and traced it to this "thing" (sorry :err:) pointed with the red arrow on the picture (it is attached to the battery housing). Is it something for the vacuum?
Strongest vibrations and rattle noise can be felt on it and on the battery housing as well.
There is no noise/vibrations when the engine is cold.
No warning lights, also, yet.
Any suggestions?
Thanx.
BR, Rade

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Hi. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 1.8 turbo but that looks to be part of the braking system as it has a non-return valve and appears to be sitting on top of the ABS pump(?).

Do your brakes feel OK?

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
It's the waste fuel recirculation system. I call it the slack tappet simulator. It taps very audibly during certain tickover situations and is due to a solenoid valve being pulsed. I think it's in time with the revs so sounds very much like a tappet. The valve allows petrol vapours from the carbon absorption canister (under rear body) to be drawn into the inlet manifold and burned.

On the 1.8 engines, the valve is mounted on the side of the battery box. Here's a photo of mine.

TC

EDIT: Photo should be labelled K16 not K18!

My quick find marker is #PVR# (Petrol Vapour Recycler)

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Oh right, that was going to be my first reply (as it's VERY common on the V6s) but I got confused when I saw the non-return valve and the brake pipes. Sorry!
The V6 engines use exactly the same system, except the solenoid valve is located just behind the RHS (as viewed) upper inlet manifold.

So, the sound is nothing to worry about?
No, the ticking noise is quite normal in these engines. It usually happens during hot engine tickover and will stop when you drive away.

TC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts