MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a random issue pop up on my F that has been driving me nuts. For context my F is not an every day car, so I only drive it every so often

I could be driving or sitting in a car park and at any time I will have this issue where a green light (above the power steering light) will flick on and an alarm time will sound (the same one that sounds for a few seconds on start up). As much as it is random in occurrence, it is also random in length. I've had it come on while driving and then turn off 10 seconds later. I've also sat with it on for like 3 minutes until I pull over and restart the car, which seems to eliminate it. Sometime it is eliminated for good, sometimes it comes back again, again randomly and anywhere from 10 seconds later to 15 minutes later.

I've tried to do research on this issue but can't find anything similar. It also doesn't help that no literature or data indicates about the green light just above the power steering light, almost like it doesn't exist. Thinking it may be related to the power steering, I tried jiggling the power steering fuse to see if this was the issue, had no effect. I've also tried jiggling the fuses that can be reached under the bonnet, again no effect.

I'm running out of ideas. Anyone here experienced something similar and know what is causing it? Any speculation as to what may be causing it so I can look into further?

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
There's a green light on the dash (aside from turn signals)? I have an early F and I don't recall a green light.

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked if you have low coolant alarm fitted to your F and warning positioned at mentioned lamp?
I have not but I will check that. It's a 97, so I think that's a mk1 from what I remember?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,928 Posts
Whatever it is connected to, that green LED is aftermarket and thus you will not be able to find any info about it. I suspect that Roverlike could well be correct when he suggests that it is a low coolant alarm. Have a look at the header tank to see if there are any wires attached to it.

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice guys. I did a fluids check (well overdue) and everything was fine. Looked at the coolant reservoir as suggested. On the top of it was a threaded rod going into the reservoir and on the outside a wire was attached to it that ran to the front under the dash. Must be a coolant alarm as suspected.

Took off the terminal lug, covered in gunk. Sanded it back as I had nothing around to spray on it to clean it off. Ran a quick test with car: started it, removed the lug, alarm would go off within about 2p seconds, put it back and alarm would go away. Coolant levels were fine so I suspect it's because it was dirty. Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
Just to confirm, no there is was no green LED on the dash, not found in either of our 1995 Fs, not the owners manual.

Sounds like a home-made low coolant alarm. I think placing the green LED in the centre of the dash was a good idea.

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I found no mention of it in the owners manual or workshop manual. Is leaking coolant a common issue? Trying to think of why it was installed.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
I'm not sure if leaking coolant is a 'common' problem but you certainly want to know if you are losing coolant because it could mean that the engine is experiencing head gasket failure (but not necessarily) or you are losing coolant from a hose or pipe and if not attended to and fixed there will be consequences.

I know someone that had their low coolant alarm go off constantly and all he did was add coolant. It was losing coolant due to head gasket failure and because he ignored what the alarm was telling him (there's a leak somewhere - find it) and just constantly added coolant, the engine became hydrolocked... you can guess what the consequences were.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,928 Posts
Looking at the corrosion on the connector I wonder if the coolant cap has failed and is venting coolant out. On another thought does the coolant level sensor attached to the tank go through a hole in the tank (I can’t tell from the picture), if it does you could be losing coolant from that.

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good point you make mowog.

Yeah the stud goes into the coolant tank, not sure what is at the end of it inside. The level of it is fine (as per the manual) so I am not sure it is leaking but who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts