MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :)

Basically, I've been doing a lot of night driving down country lanes recently, and I'm not happy with the amount of light I'm getting.

I'm using Ring Xenon Max (+100%) bulbs in my dipped, and those are fine for general driving, although I want something much brighter when I'm off the main roads.

I've already built a circuit to beef up my wiring (40amp relay running directly from the battery to the lights, switched when you select full beam), and I'm using wiring rated to 30amps. Seen as even a 130w rally bulb would only use 9-10amps, I'm confident I won't melt my wiring.

What I did want to know is if there's a risk of damaging the headlights themselves, I.E. melting the plastic etc.

If this is likely to happen, then I'll go down the route of 55w HIDs, but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

I should clarify that my angels use seperate H1 bulbs for dipped and main, so it would not appear any different under normal driving, only when full beam is on.

Oh and also... if anyone has personal experience using these bulbs, how much brighter are they? :p

Any suggestions? Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Rally bulbs aren't legal only 45-65w are but I can't see them melting things... Just make sure you don't leave them on when you drive past someone if you do decide to put some in...

I know someone that just swapped them for the normal ones and he was fine... No wiring changes etc... I think the headlights are rated 15 amp any who...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cake.............

Helpful response yes?

Are Rally bulbs legal?
:lol: indeed helpful.

...technically I suppose not. But neither are aftermarket HIDs in most cars.

As I said, I'm leaving the standard bright 55w bulbs in my dipped, and only ever using these off the main road in the dark when there's no traffic; Devon is full of horrible little country roads.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Let me know how you get along with this and if you have any issues.

I'm considering retrofitting some Morimoto's to my projectors and then running dual HIDs but I'd like to know how this turns out as it'd certainly be a cheaper option than Dual HID Projectors ;)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
there are some tight twisty roads around your parts in devon but at least your roads seem less full of holes like here in yorkshire im thinking about doing something like uprated bulbs an alternative would be fitting extra spots i seem to remember kc daylighters ran 150w each and they could be switchable too,theres a good bodykit for bubble shapes with built in round spotlights not for my r8 shape though,do let us know how it works out

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll certainly post up before and after shots, possibly a video driving with them if I can.

I've been looking at the Ring Rally Bulbs, and they have a 80w pair and a 130w pair.

130w - clicky
80w - clicky

Only thing is I'm confused because that site says 65% increase by using 130w bulbs.... and they shine yellow. Are these going to be any better than the +100% 55w bulbs?

Oh and reguarding your spotlight idea... I have wondered about converting the fog lamps into driving lamps as they're not often used.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean it's full of awesome to drive roads! 200/25/Zeds are brilliant for the roads in our area (N. Devon).
I love it in daytime, hate it at night :lol: I'll be enjoying them much more when I get round to putting my ZR suspension on... I've been lazy and not done it yet =/

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what bulbs

Ok! Finally after much annoyance and swearing I've managed to get the new circuit wired up.

Both dipped and full now appear at the same time, and the wiring for full beam should be more than enough to take high wattage bulbs. (in theory upto 180w). I've taken some wiring pics and will try and get those on with night shots later.

Any suggestions as to the best high wattage H1 bulbs to use? I understand a lot of them are yellow... I'd like bright white if possible though.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
In my mk2 zed I'm running 55w 6000k HID dipped beam and 100w rally bulb main beam all on standard wiring with no issues with heat or melting.

To get that ice white look though you will need bulbs with a fairly thick layer of blue to counter the yellowness. eBay is your friend.....

From my Galaxy SII on Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Ok! Finally after much annoyance and swearing I've managed to get the new circuit wired up.

Both dipped and full now appear at the same time, and the wiring for full beam should be more than enough to take high wattage bulbs. (in theory upto 180w). I've taken some wiring pics and will try and get those on with night shots later.

Any suggestions as to the best high wattage H1 bulbs to use? I understand a lot of them are yellow... I'd like bright white if possible though.
Fancy sharing the info on how you got dipped and full wired up at the same time?

I fitted one of my angels earlier before being a little disappointed, so removed it and am now on a mission to awesome them up a bit before I fit them again.

Would like to get myself the Mini Morimoto H1 projector kit and put that in place of the full beam, and then wire it up so that they are both on dipped and when full beam goes on, the Morimoto projector goes to full while the original projector stays on dipped. Should look smart.

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
think you need to wire in a relay to put power to the second bulb, basically so that the feed to the full beam acts as the signal wire for the relay, and turns the dip beam back on.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
think you need to wire in a relay to put power to the second bulb, basically so that the feed to the full beam acts as the signal wire for the relay, and turns the dip beam back on.
^ this :)

basically, it went like this...

battery -> relay (switched by full beam) -> full beam

then wired the full beam bulb directly to the dipped bulb through a big 35amp diode (to stop dipped also turning on main beam).

Made little Y leads to do it properly, I'll get a pic up in a little while...

I've now put in some 80w sportblue Ring bulbs (thought I'd start low as might not need 100/130w and put less stress on everything).

Definately brighter, but I haven't managed to align them just right yet in order to get the distance. May end up going higher wattage; the main reason for wanting rally bulbs is so I can see further down the road, not just light up the same bit of road brighter :p

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a pic of both on at the same time (plus fogs, although that's still on a switch :p)

Those rally bulbs shine bright white rather than blue - look very nice. I'll have to get some pics up tonight. I did also take a video driving with the modified lights if anyone wants to see it, you get to hear my lovely exhaust but it looks like im driving in the dark! (didn't capture the lighting very well)

·
Registered
rover_100
706 Posts
I have rally bulbs in my 25 angel eyes and i was worried about heat but i havent had any problems yet and they work brilliant.
Shame my rally bulbs are very yellow its an odd mix with my blue hids!

But i would suggest them if you do alot of night time lane driving

1 - 16 of 16 Posts