MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to go and apply this to my windows, anyone got any recommendations on how I should go about this, like should I use a cloth or sponge, type of cloth or sponge, amount, etc

ta :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I applied it on a clean lint free dry cloth, and then polished off (took ages) with another cloth the same, not over the moon with the results as condensation on the inside of the windscreen made the the Mist X leave a chalky residue which needed wiping off, can't see the full benefit of Rain x yet either!!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Never used MistX but i use RainX all the time. Clean your screen as best you can then using tissue (kiitchen roll is ideal) apply the rainX in a circular fashion, like you would wax. Let it dry to a haze then buff it with a very slightly damp piece of tissue, finally buff with dry tissue. Re-apply it again next weekend in the same way and you'll be amazed!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try this !

Rain X
Not a bad product.
The way I use it is as follows ;

Firstly clean your glass with window cleaner as you would, buffing of with a bit of paper towel ( you know the stuff ).
Apply the Rain X with a lint free cloth, ( I use a cotton t-shirt ). Apply the Rain X Genurosly.
Wait for it to dry, it will go white ish.
Fill a spray bottle with cold water and one piece of glass at a time, lightly spray the glass with water and wipe with a piece of paper towel till dry, and there you go, job done.

I personally give the glass two applications of Rain X, dont ask why, It's just the way I do it.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Ive heard so many good things about it, but my experience was its pants.
I followed the instructions to the letter, it did fook all!

·
Registered
180 Posts
michaelperrin said:
Gotta Agree michaelperrin, Rain X I wouldn't bother with again, the Mist X, well, I'm not too sure about either!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Cant agree, i use RainX all the time, i dont need wipers at all over about 50mph and under that speed the wipers clear the screen perfectly. The glass is also easier to clean especially in the summer when it gets covered in bugs.
The clearing effect at speed probably depends on the shape of the car, some cars require a higher speed some a lower speed.
I also use RainX on my glasses, mobile phone screen and house windows.
The only bad thing i will say about it is that you have to keep using it for it to work. Re-apply it every month or so.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Rain-X works very well if you apply it to a VERY clean windscreen. If you apply it to a polished or waxed windscreen it makes vision aweful.

I wrote a post about it a while ago and how to apply it, but I'll summaraise it here:
Clean windscreen with soap and water (NOT wash n wax type stuff)
Get the windowlene out and clean it again with that
If you have meths (metholated spirits or rubbing alcohol will do too) then give the screen a final wipe with alcohol with a paper towel.
Then apply the rain X as per the instructions on the bottle.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes, I woudn't use petrol myself, but you really have to have a spotlessly clean screen first with no road residue or wax residue on it, otherwise it makes your screen smear like crazy.
I use alcohol as it smells better and doesn't leave an oily residue on the screen which petrol can do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found when I used Rain-X it worked well if driving in fairly heavy rain but in light drizzle or in fog or colder weather (when a damp haze forms on the screen) the visibility was actually worse. As already mentioned it does need to be applied every few weeks to remain effective. Having said all that I havn't used it for a while!

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
michaelperrin said:
Me too.

Rainx was just a paidn to do and was poor really and as for Mistx, I have used it and it just makes and condensation you do have twice as bad and twice as difficult to remove, I am sure applied properly it works, but I have yet to find a living person with the necessary skill.

·
Registered
702 Posts
second option, get a set of Piaa silicon wipers... wash the glass, clean with supplied wipe, run wipers over screen dry for 5mins leaves a nice coat of silicon on it, the rain just slides off :p the more u use the wipers the better they get.

·
Registered
rover_75
251 Posts
Are the PIAA silicon wipers worth the money? Just had a look on their website and they sound brilliant. Or have I fell for a good sales pitch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts