MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the Adrian Goldberg show (BBC WM) on my way to work this morning and an ex rover phoned in stating that he had been tipped off by another ex employee 'in the know' that production could restart at Longbridge as soon as THIS SEPTEMBER! Apparently they will resume production of the TF first (as expected) followed by the ZT and then the ZR!

He did say it was only a rumour but WM decided to broadcast it so it is encouraging IMHO.

-Rob-

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Rob25 said:
I was listening to the Adrian Goldberg show (BBC WM) on my way to work this morning and an ex rover phoned in stating that he had been tipped off by another ex employee 'in the know' that production could restart at Longbridge as soon as THIS SEPTEMBER! Apparently they will resume production of the TF first (as expected) followed by the ZT and then the ZR!

He did say it was only a rumour but WM decided to broadcast it so it is encouraging IMHO.

-Rob-
OOO Fingers crossed I really hope that is true...shame they'd miss the summer launch of TF Mk2.

·
Registered
560 Posts
e668ecp said:
some people can't keep a secret
Hey 668, your secret-keeping skillz are legendary! Any sign of these pics of the 2 production-ready aluminium sportscars yet? Or have you still got em in a Fox’s biscuit tin under your bed.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Rob25 said:

-Rob-
ZR too? Looking promising!

G

·
Mr_Censored said:
Hey 668, your secret-keeping skillz are legendary! Any sign of these pics of the 2 production-ready aluminium sportscars yet? Or have you still got em in a Fox’s biscuit tin under your bed.
I've still got the pics but as I was told not to release them by an ex-senior engineer manager I haven't and won't

Good look with the job

·
Registered
404 Posts
ZR? How? I thought the lines were in China for the 25/45? Or are they talking about the Hotwheels versions. ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
e668ecp said:
I've still got the pics but as I was told not to release them by an ex-senior engineer manager I haven't and won't

Good look with the job
Cheers, i've got hold of those fuggers at the employment agency now, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, if this morning's Birmingham Post article is to be believed, Nanjing has informed the Post they will be making the first MG Rover car in March 2007.
This is the date they have referred to quite often so if it's been brought forward they are telling the Post porkies.
The article also says that Nanjing has signed an agreement with X-Part (Caterpillar) which has allowed them to export its first batch of spare parts to Europe.
Apologies for not putting up the link but the info and other bits of gen are still up on the Birmingham Post site.
It's all looking pretty promising at the moment.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Both dates could be real.

They can't just suddenly start full production in March '07. It takes time to get everything sorted out.

The September date is probably the start of trial production - building a few prototypes of the new cars (remember they will be facelifted to some extent, and using parts from some new suppliers including Nanjing). There will be lots of teething troubles to iron out. That could take months.

Also, at first they might have to use Powertrain built engines (there is bound to be a small stock tucked away somewhere). Full production will have to wait until Nanjing have their engine factory running (we haven't seen a Nanjing produced engine in a crate yet in the Chinese news thread...).

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
170 Posts
September is pretty hard to believe. Many former MGR suppliers have been approached to support parts to be sent to China for R75/ZT prototype builds (NAC & SAIC).
I am aware of several critical MGTF part suppliers who have not been approached at all regarding TF. Mind you, there's always the possibility that they're taking TF component requirements via XPart to NAC but this would be a (more) expensive option.
Can anyone from a supplier confirm that EDI schedules have been issued for parts into Longbridge for September? They would need to be planning NOW. The answer to this will confirm or otherwise a September start of production.
Sorry to be a party pooper!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Ive said it before and I shall say it again. I am not believing anything untill this 6 month period is over and I see some "new" (not 10 year old hondas) cars roll of the production line.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
You know, I'm going to be hugely dissapointed if this 'new' MG TF is nothing more than a mild facelift.

They need a complete rebody, a new interior, and if possible, revised powertrains, or at least sort the head gasket issues out...

·
Registered
mg_zr
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry... been a busy day... anyway, the guy on the phone sounded really upbeat. They did stress that it is only a rumour but nevertheless it's one I would love to see come good!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
March 07 for official launch, but production to start this September I guess. If XPart have signed a wide ranging deal wth Nanjing, it could involve cheaper producton of parts perhaps?

According to some Chinese news recently, Nanjing were suggesting they would start TF production on a hand-build basis before ramping up production. Whether or not that means anything I don't know.

Simon said:
ZR? How? I thought the lines were in China for the 25/45? Or are they talking about the Hotwheels versions. ;)
Or a modified, even reskinned ZR down the 75 line?

Or do they mean RD60 (especially small verson of)?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well whenever it is they need to build some pre production prototyoes first and I assume drive into several blocks of concrete to get a revised Ncap rating when in the flow of things would that have to happen?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts