MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have had trouble with my radio on my TF, so I fitter a new JVC CD radio, I cant seem to tune it in, I have checked the connections and it seems fine, I fitted a new Arial base and antenna a while back and that was fine for a time.
I just wondered how difficult it would be to run a new cable from the radio to the aerial, I'm not sure how it runs in the car.

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I assume you fitted a DAB radio instead of the original? If so you have to use DAB aerial except you can buy a converter that allows you to keep the aerial for both DAB and FM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Julian, no bought a basic one, didn't want a load of functions just a simple set up,
Thanks Mark

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Personally, I'd check the connection from the aerial base to the cable which runs to the radio especially as you mention you changed it a while back, it could have disconnected. Never looked at the way the lead runs, but would assume it goes to the left of the car when sitting in it and follows the body (under the door) to the rear of the car before going through to the back wing section....similar way the boot release runs on the right hand side of the car.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Hi
I want a new radio 2 questions is DAB any good in a car, my personal DAB radio for walking constantly loses the signal are the car ones better.
What type of connector is fitted to a 2001 TF and is it a case of buy the radio and get an adaptor or can I get one that follows the current connector.
Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hi
I want a new radio 2 questions is DAB any good in a car, my personal DAB radio for walking constantly loses the signal are the car ones better.
What type of connector is fitted to a 2001 TF and is it a case of buy the radio and get an adaptor or can I get one that follows the current connector.
Thanks
Peter
Signal no idea not tried - but you will need to change the aerial

Connectors are standard ISO -

1622743138120.png

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,434 Posts
..... my personal DAB radio for walking constantly loses the signal are the car ones better......
From reading and hearing quite a few comments from people who have in-car DAB radio, they don't sound a lot better in that respect to be honest. Whether newer DAB units are any better, or whether it is mainly down to the signal I know not.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
A DAB radio will not sound better than an FM radio, the only time I would consider a DAB radio is for the extra stations that DAB offers.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Here in Switzerland, I converted two cars to DAB as FM being turned off soon (overwhelming reason to change) - in the meantime nos of stations are reducing. I was reluctant as FM, in my opinion, has better signal strength (in at least short tunnels) and I do not see much difference in sound quality. I have kept the original Philips radio in the boot in storage which I still rate very highly - it was a good radio back in 1998 and still is plus I have the CD changer in the boot (only works with the Philips model that I have) in case I ever revert back (unlikely).

The other advantage of a modern all singing or dancing unit is that it keeps the cabin tidy as my unit has inbuilt Bluetooth/Mobile interoperabilty and sat-nav, hence getting rid of a load of crap that would otherwise mess up the cabin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts