MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had to be done. :p

I mean, where abouts on the rad? Under the cooling fan? I can't think of anywhere else...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to drain the coolant and refill to see if it is oil contamination. Is it the hose straight from the coolant tank to the rad?

Cheers.

Liam.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I "think" there will be a hose at the top of the radiator (drivers side?) and a hose going into the bottom of the radiator (passenger side?). Dis-connect the bottom hose to drain coolant. Make sure you read up about refilling the system before you attempt it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Liam Olf said:
Trying to drain the coolant and refill to see if it is oil contamination. Is it the hose straight from the coolant tank to the rad?

Cheers.

Liam.
It is the hose from the bottom of the radiator, which goes to the metal pipe, which then goes round the back of the engine.

Get the car up on a ramp and look underneath, you will see it. Set the heater to max and follow the bleed procedure.

I would also backflush it lots and lots, then forward flush it so you eventually get all the gunk out of the system. You can probably take off the header tank and clean that in a bowl too.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
That's this one on the right side of the radiator (where there is the spanner):

and then:

wash the reservoir like this:

also wash extremely well all the cooling circuit to take out every bit of the old coolant (if not OAT, make 2-3 flushes with tap water)

and fill with OAT:

super! Nice! :=p:

Do not forget to bleed the system (two plugs, or one plug and one screw, that's the same) and blow the valve that is in the inlet manifold (where there is the red cross):

During the next 2-3 days you'll have to top a little bit with that mixture of water-OAT (1/1) and that's all.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose Tesco's own won't do it any harm? ;)

About blowing the inlet manifold pipe - physically blow, 'kiss of life style' or with a bit of tubing, or straw?

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
Use a bit of tubing but not that one that is installed between the expansion tank and the manifold because it is "contaminated" with antifreeze (it's not good for us...). It may even have a smaller diameter, just lean it against the nipple in the manifold and give it a good blowing.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I cant believe this guy is doing a coolant flush and doesnt even know where his radiator rails are.

Get a Haynes!

Study and look first for as long as you can before touching anything!

Did you set the blower?

Oli

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
oliverhadi said:
I cant believe this guy is doing a coolant flush and doesnt even know where his radiator rails are.

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone :evil:

·
Registered
585 Posts
oliverhadi said:

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli
hey hey now now!!

we all have to learn - and its better to ask than assume or botch it up -

now this may be a stupid question from me ( so dont shoot)

but i have never understood how anti freeze goes in the colour it is and is almost flourescent green when its in there - any techy feedback???

Oh and charles, nice pics - very well done - maybe good enough for a how to folks?

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
oliverhadi said:

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli
Rar!!!!!! :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Oli - if you don't know what you are doing, find a friend who does.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
oliverhadi said:

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli

Says he who didn't even know how to change his brake discs? :lol:

Although I agree the cooling system on a K series does require you to know what you are doing.

Particularly on a Metty as they are a sod to bleed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
oliverhadi said:

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli
you tart. give the guy i break. he checkin before he messes sumthin up.

Liam, ill come and give you a hand if you want mate, msn me.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oliverhadi said:

Get a Haynes!

Did you set the blower?

Oli
Calm down dear. :gfight:

Like Mike (rover220) said, better to be safe than sorry, the car has cost me enough already without creating even more problems for myself.

The Haynes is helpful for a spanner monkey, but for a novice like me it's useless. It doesn't help having the pipe concealed by a big wack-off cooling fan either...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts