MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf vvc, rover 111si
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just starting a new post as this is, I hope, a one off problem. When going through the coolant bleeding process, I inadvertently broke off the top of the plastic bleed screw for the radiator. It sheared down to the shaft that is stuck into the thread. A shame because I had just about sorted the coolant issue - got rid of air bubbles coming out of the rad, nice clean fluid etc
I have ordered a new bleed screw/bolt, but would be grateful for any ideas on how to get the remaining part of the screw out - would it be just a case of drilling it out or would that damage the thread, or could I insert another smaller screw into the plastic and undo/remove that way?
any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
485 Posts
Hi
Just starting a new post as this is, I hope, a one off problem. When going through the coolant bleeding process, I inadvertently broke off the top of the plastic bleed screw for the radiator. It sheared down to the shaft that is stuck into the thread. A shame because I had just about sorted the coolant issue - got rid of air bubbles coming out of the rad, nice clean fluid etc
I have ordered a new bleed screw/bolt, but would be grateful for any ideas on how to get the remaining part of the screw out - would it be just a case of drilling it out or would that damage the thread, or could I insert another smaller screw into the plastic and undo/remove that way?
any ideas welcome!
As deepfat says.

·
Registered
mg_tf
494 Posts
Pisxa, I'm not a fan of these type of extractors, they have their place but if you're trying to remove a snapped stud that probably snapped due to corrosion of the thread, I haven't had much luck with these. Even worse is if you try these and snap it off in the stud, then you've got even more problems, ask me how I know.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts