MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The continuing saga of my car continues. :banghead: I've now discovered that the rad fan on my 416 ain't working no more. Last week it was, now it's given up. I've just run the engine for about 10 mins waiting for it to cut in but nothing, or should I have run it longer? don't know how long it takes before the fan comes in. I know the motor's not packed up because my mate checked it by doing some wiring type thing with the battery? I think. The fan kicked in then.
Is it worth me going to the dealer for them to check it over?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
1, make sure the engine is getting hot enough to make the fan kick in, it can take a while for it to start up as the stat will regulate the temp on its own for a fair while.

2, check the fuse, replace if in any doubt.

3, pull the plug from the coolant temp switch, with the ignition on put a split pin into the 2 connections on the wire. if the fan goes then the switch is faulty.

4, use a tester to check for supply to the motor when its due to kick in, this may be the most tricky due to placements and heat.

5, if in doubt take it to a garage, i doubt the car is still under warranty and most garages can beat dealer prices.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
10 minutes probably isn't long enough... run it longer, keeping a close eye on the coolant temp guage. If the guage goes above 2/3 then stop the engine..

On mine at idle on a warm day without any wind (car not me) it can take around 15-20 minutes.

Also, if you pull the CTS plug (brown) the fan should kick in straight away.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for that, I'll run it for a bit longer, when you say the brown connector, is that the one which is on the fan motor?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Take the car for a run first then park the car, put your foot on the gas up to a few thousand revs for a min or two then leave it to idle. It'll soon kick in then and make sure the bonnet is closed. Where is your temp gauge when all this is going on?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
marcus ransom said:
normal position, at the half way point.
Seems normal to me. The fan's just probably taking a while to kick in cuz the engine's not hot enough.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago after taking my manifold off. I thought I'd buggered somat up cuz the fan just wouldn't come on even though I left it for a fair while.
I kept watching the temp and it stayed fine.
I took the car out then I came back, left the car running and went in the house for a few minutes. I came back out and the fan had kicked in.

Before I was waiting for it to kick in with the bonnet up. This keeps the car cooler as it lets the heat from the manifold escape.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I'll take the car out today, leave it for a while then see what happens. I did have the bonnet just sitting on the catch yesterday while I left the engine running, don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success!! took the car out today for a drive, about half an hour, stopped and just let the engine idle for a bit, then revved up to about 2 thousand revs then checked and hey presto one fan whirring away :) am I a happy chappie or what :) thanks guys for all your help and info, much appreciated :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts