MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my local tyre fitter check the wear on my tyres (225/45/17 Dunlop SP3000's). The fronts are fairly new. but the rears have done 30k so I would be expecting to have to change them. The tyre fitter said the wear was quite uneven (outside edges worn more than inner), probably due to under-inflation. Told him they had 28psi in as per the manual, and he said that wasn't anywhere near enough. 'Want about 34 in there mate' was his reply. So really my question (for Yorky and DLN amongst others) is what pressure is best? If I put 34psi in and go against the Rover recommendation, what are the legal/safety implications?

My other question is about tyre roar. Never been happy with the tyre noise from 17's compared to the 15's and 16's I have ran in the past on other 75's.
I know it is down to the tyre profile, but is there anything quieter than Dunlop SP3000's. Auto Express reckon Continentals or Bridgestones are quieter as they are made from a softer compound. Anybody had experience of these?

Thanks!!!

Paul

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
28psi is a bit on the low side to be fair but not necessarily a problem - great though for keeping the back planted on dry roads through some spirited driving. I'd have said maybe 30-32psi would be better, 34 might make the back a bit too light. Try it and see what you think.

As for an accident, you are unlikely to get into trouble for having any of the tyres a few psi out. If you had say 15psi in when 30 was needed, then I'd expect you to get into trouble because it would be noticeable aswell as you would be able to feel the poor handling.

Out of interest, how are the fronts and what are they inflated to??

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
RichK said:
My handbook says 28 front and 30 rear, no idea what size my rims are though, sorry :)
That's quite strange - unless you have different tyre/wheel sizes front and back. On a front engined, FWD and steered car I'd have expected that to be the other way around.

·
Registered
rover_75
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fronts are at 32psi (as per the handbook) and the wear looks ok, although they have only done about 10k, so probably too early to tell.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
You could try running upto 34psi in the back tyres if you wanna try and even the wear up in the tyres and see what this does for you. This may make the back a bit lighter though but nowhere near enough to change the cars handling characteristic. Personally I'd try running them at 32psi first (as the fronts) and seeing how this works out.

On the plus side, in the wet, the extra tyre pressure should improve the traction at the rear - if the tyres shoulders were wearing away more than the middle then the whole contact patch isn't making good contact with the ground over very wet roads.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
My 225/50-17 tyres,use 40 PSI,a little uncomfortable,but handling very good,a little bit noisy.Brand----BRIDGESTONE POTENZA G-III.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Vincero said:
That's quite strange - unless you have different tyre/wheel sizes front and back. On a front engined, FWD and steered car I'd have expected that to be the other way around.
ERK :fishslap:

Sorry, you're right.

Mine is indeed 30psi front and 28psi rear.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
*DLN* said:
My handbook states 32psi (front) and 30psi (rear) so this is what I am currently running them at.
That's the kind of numbers I'd expect to see. Especially as the pressures they specify are for more than just 1 person in the car - usually something like a couple of people and a tiny bit of luggage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts