MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, posted this query in 75/zt section no joy ,perhaps with hindsight it should have been posted here
came to my car yesterday and found drivers side wing mirror had been whacked, fortunately mirror and electrics ok but the mirror housing sits on an arm and on checking it shows a snap off of plastic which appears to have 4 self tappers running thru from the underside to hold the mirror housing.
question? does the underside of the support arm come away as there seems to be a possible removal pad, looking to do temp repair pending finding replacement
thanks for your help/advice
fred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MikeM said:
Fred,

Do you have the original 'bullet' mirrors or the later ones that are also used on the 25/45?


Mike
hi mike from your description i would say bullet style
it is 02 75 tourer cdt classic
correction mike they don't appear to be bullet style,only way i can describe them is inner side approx 6" tapering to approx2" across back face . jeez don't ask me to hpotograph them i'll have to learn how to upload pic's
thanks fred
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
doh1 I should have doen this first time :lol:

First pic shows later style, second shows 'bullet' mirrors. Which ones do you have?

Mike



 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
Good bounce ;) You have the later mirros as fitted to the 25 and 45

From what I know and can see on swmbo's Rover 45 the underside of the supporting arm does not come away to give you access :(

The good news is that these mirror units are soooo very much cheaper than the bullet ones and even if you need to get a complete replacement new it won't cost an arm and leg. Even better get in touch with roverbreakers.com as there are plenty of these units around second hand.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MikeM said:
Good bounce ;) You have the later mirros as fitted to the 25 and 45

From what I know and can see on swmbo's Rover 45 the underside of the supporting arm does not come away to give you access :(

The good news is that these mirror units are soooo very much cheaper than the bullet ones and even if you need to get a complete replacement new it won't cost an arm and leg. Even better get in touch with roverbreakers.com as there are plenty of these units around second hand.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Mike
thanks for your help mike, only reason i presumed bottom access is that there is an elliptical shaped grooving on the underside of the support arm and i thought it might be a "pop out".didn't want to start jabbing and create unecessary damage.
will follow your advice re. replacement
fred
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
REDSLUSHY said:
thanks for your help mike, only reason i presumed bottom access is that there is an elliptical shaped grooving on the underside of the support arm and i thought it might be a "pop out".didn't want to start jabbing and create unecessary damage.
will follow your advice re. replacement
fred
Aha,

If you have an elliptical shaped grooving under the mount arm then I think you have the bullet shaped mirrors 'cos I just looked at my mirror and it has one whereas the 45 mirrors don't. It's too wet and dark for me to see it fully but I'll take a look in the morning and let you know what I think.

Regards

Mike
 

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
Joined
·
140 Posts
R75 Mirrors

You can remove the 'plate' from under the mirror bracket. The same thing happen to my 75. Using a screw driver if you push the lug of the plate in (which is pointing out at you), it will bend very easily, then you can pull the plate down once it has bent enough to either get your fingernails or a screwdriver in and it will pull off easily. Then, looking underneath (mine has electric folding mirrors) there are 3 4mm torx bolts holding the mirror on. If you undo these the mirror will separate from the arm. If the mirror has had a whack the mechanism of the mirror may have broken off from the plastic surround. In this case you can re-attach it by pulling the chrome cover off to give access to the inside of the mirror, and then glueing/screwing or wire wrapping the pieces back together again. I twisted some wire around the broken parts, this pulled the parts together and held them in place pretty tightly. It looks as good as new now, before it was flopping around. Hope this helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,909 Posts
Cheers for that Chris,

You saved me a job there :) Thanks for the how to instructions. I will log these as I'm sure we'll be asked again.

Regards

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chris_h said:
You can remove the 'plate' from under the mirror bracket. The same thing happen to my 75. Using a screw driver if you push the lug of the plate in (which is pointing out at you), it will bend very easily, then you can pull the plate down once it has bent enough to either get your fingernails or a screwdriver in and it will pull off easily. Then, looking underneath (mine has electric folding mirrors) there are 3 4mm torx bolts holding the mirror on. If you undo these the mirror will separate from the arm. If the mirror has had a whack the mechanism of the mirror may have broken off from the plastic surround. In this case you can re-attach it by pulling the chrome cover off to give access to the inside of the mirror, and then glueing/screwing or wire wrapping the pieces back together again. I twisted some wire around the broken parts, this pulled the parts together and held them in place pretty tightly. It looks as good as new now, before it was flopping around. Hope this helps.
brillant assist, thanks for your help gentlemen
regards fred
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
37 Posts
mike m or anyone do you guys know how to get the broken peice out of the circular tube thing out of the wing mirror thanks oh almost forgot how do i get the mirror out to get the back covers off without breaking anything thanks again
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top