MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been monitoring the Mpg on my 2000 R75 1.8 over the past couple of months (fill to top note distance etc) and its working out at 27.9mpg which is rubbish. I got the same out of my old Frontera 2.2 petrol and i had to thrash that just to get it to move. I use the car mostly to go to work 7 miles away mostly down b roads with very few stop starts and little traffic. I don't thrash it 50-70mph most of the time and 80 on the m/way. I've got the 52mm t/b fitted but the standard airbox and filter and the car is smoother at low revs. Love the cars looks and the leather interior (connoiseur model) but i was really hoping for mpg figures around 35-40. I don't want to change it but its had a few problems already - pulling to left- a common problem, knocking rear suspension now fixed and erratic remote locking. Now that the mpg is as bad as this i'm considering swapping it for an Octavia (mates VRS does 33mpg even when thrashed).
Really don't want to swap so any ideas on possible problem if any would be appreciated. It has been serviced regularly and has only done 35000 miles, btw mpg was unaffected by t/b i checked before and after fitting.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Your 7 mile commute isn't doing your economy any good for starters.....

The engine is probably only *just* attaining working temperature by then.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
rider said:
but i was really hoping for mpg figures around 35-40.
you'll be lucky :rolleyes: on a heavy car like the 75 thats pretty decent for a short journey of 7 miles. If MPG is a concern, diesel would be an option.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
If its any consolation, i had a 420GSi with the 2.0 petrol, and on a very similar journey it did 25-26mpg. so 27-28 don't sound that bad, and it is a relatively short journey.

What is the knocking rear suspension problem? is this another R75 anomoly?, what causes it?

CAM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The suspension noise was quickly rectified by the dealer (didn't cost much so can't have been major) it was only audible if you really listened for it and only at low speed.

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
get it converted to LPG,done it on my 620ti,only a few minor niggles with the system but ur looking at double the distance travelled for ur money,even at 20mpg it equates to 140miles or thereabouts for a tenner considering gas is only 31.9p a litre near me

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
rider said:
I've been monitoring the Mpg on my 2000 R75 1.8 over the past couple of months (fill to top note distance etc) and its working out at 27.9mpg which is rubbish. I got the same out of my old Frontera 2.2 petrol and i had to thrash that just to get it to move. I use the car mostly to go to work 7 miles away mostly down b roads with very few stop starts and little traffic. I don't thrash it 50-70mph most of the time and 80 on the m/way. I've got the 52mm t/b fitted but the standard airbox and filter and the car is smoother at low revs. Love the cars looks and the leather interior (connoiseur model) but i was really hoping for mpg figures around 35-40. I don't want to change it but its had a few problems already - pulling to left- a common problem, knocking rear suspension now fixed and erratic remote locking. Now that the mpg is as bad as this i'm considering swapping it for an Octavia (mates VRS does 33mpg even when thrashed).
Really don't want to swap so any ideas on possible problem if any would be appreciated. It has been serviced regularly and has only done 35000 miles, btw mpg was unaffected by t/b i checked before and after fitting.
Look at the actual fuel costs:-

How many miles do you drive per year?

Let's assume its 10k, then at 28mpg you'd use 1620L at 84p / litre = £1360.

If the car did 35mpg (not realistic on your short journeys from a petrol 75), you'd use 1300L = £1089.

Thus its costing you £270 a year more than you'd hoped for.

Is it worth changing the car for the sake of a fiver per week?

This sort of difference doesn't even justify a LPG conversion unless you intende keeping the car for over 4 years.

Even if you did 20k miles per year, it still only an extra tenner per week...

If you take into account the actual cost of changing cars, then you'd be well out of pocket....

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Rover_ron said:
Look at the actual fuel costs:-

How many miles do you drive per year?

Let's assume its 10k, then at 28mpg you'd use 1620L at 84p / litre = £1360.

If the car did 35mpg (not realistic on your short journeys from a petrol 75), you'd use 1300L = £1089.

Thus its costing you £270 a year more than you'd hoped for.

Is it worth changing the car for the sake of a fiver per week?

This sort of difference doesn't even justify a LPG conversion unless you intende keeping the car for over 4 years.

Even if you did 20k miles per year, it still only an extra tenner per week...

If you take into account the actual cost of changing cars, then you'd be well out of pocket....
Not that I would change a car just because of fuel consumption but I have never looked at it that way before. Good post :)

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
all depends on the mileage ur doing,but Ive found because I have halved the fuel costs u use the car a lot more because it is much cheaper to run-instead of it costing £50 to go somewhere it now costs £25,also the kit ive got will run anything upto 300bhp,so when I scrap the car it can be removed and put onto the next car,depends how u look at things

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose that what i'm annoyed about is the fact that I chose this version instead of the 2.5 V6 because i really couldn't justify the low mpg even though it suits the car better. The official mpg figures suggest an average of 36 (1.8) compared to low 20's for the V6 (I know they are not real world accurate). So to find that even when i'm driving V carefully I still can't manage better than 27 is a tad annoying, so what I really mean is that if I had known in advance then I would have gone for the bigger engine and not worried about mpg (good post by rover ron illustrates minor cost diff). I did a bit of research before buying and it all suggested that the 1.8 was good on mpg, but 27 is not good for a car of only 1800cc , its about 1 ton lighter than my old lwb frontera with the same return!! Anyway really like the car just a bit pee'd off with Rover and myself for not buying the right model in the first place and I can't afford to swap it for a while yet.

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
I got the 620turbo a while back in my younger days when I wasnt really bothered about fuel economy and wanted outright power,now Im not so bothered about power but prefer good economy,so rather than sell the car for peanuts and buy a diesel LPG gives me the best of all worlds-power and economy.Shame u didnt buy the V6 as it wouldnt have been much worse on juice than yours and good power available should u want it

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
There is a solution

You can easily get a lot nearer to the mpg you want from your 1.8 but you might not like the solution, simple though it is................

Every time your rev counter approaches 2000 change gear. I did this for one month with my 2.5 V6 and the mpg figures were phenonemal :yikes:

I also nearly died from boredom at such a serene ride :lol:

But seriously, try it. It works.

Most of our problems with mpg are nothing to do with the car but are caused by one thing and one thing only-The Big Right Foot.

Mike

·
Registered
430 Posts
Spot on Mike :)

The climate control puts a strain on the engine so try turning that to the ECON setting. Other than the above your mpg sounds about right for a 'real world' 7 mile commute in a big car with a smallish engine.

When I use to travel 70 miles to work on fast roads my ZT CDTi use to give 45mpg+. Now I trave 20 miles on slow motorways and around town I'm down to 36mpg.

Only other advice would be to look ahead and plan your breaking and acceleration, ie. don't accelerate towards light when they are about to turn red etc. (sorry to state the obvious).

Swapping a car because of low mpg just doesn't stack up (see recent thread an depreciation). My mate has an Octavia and it is as dull as dishwater as it is soooooooo bland inside and out.

AL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice guys guess i'll just have to live with it for now. As for forward observation/braking I am an ex Police driver and this is a matter of course (miss the blues though), it would be nice if all drivers looked ahead further than their bonnets though wouldn't it?
As for the Octavia I agree they are a bit bland but try the VRS it will suprise you.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
mate your lucky to get 27-28mpg out of yours, i have the same engine as yours in mine and get lower mpg. I only do a 3.5 mile commute to work. Probably getting 22-23mpg as I get a bit of traffic and I'm not having a clear run. Plus the fact cold weather doesn't help either, various road conditions affect MPG from tyre pressures, heavy right foot, condition of engine etc. As for manufacturers tested MPG you could never really recreate that in the real world due to so many factors.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
rider said:
it would be nice if all drivers looked ahead further than their bonnets though wouldn't it?.
Oh yesssssssss

At The Waterman meet today poor old Dan (Vitesse Sport) was stopped in the road, indicating to turn right into the pub car park. Straight road behind him, clear day etc.

So exactly why did the driver behind go right up his back end? Because the driver wasn't looking any further than her nose :banghead:

Too much of it going on.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I have posted before about my MPG and I don't really like to repeat myself but I will as it seems to be relevant.

75 1.8T

Average around town consumption 33mpg

Commute 25 miles to work and return, 22 of those miles on a motorway returns 38.7

Those figures are full tank to full tank NOT the computer readings which are about 2mpg higher.

I do about 80 ish on the motorway and normal speed around town.

I know those figures are on the high side but they are 100% genuine and not a figment of my imagination. I find it difficult to believe myself so I don't mind people doubting me.

I swapped cars with my brother for a week or so and he got the same consumption out of mine as I do.

If one 1.8T can do it why can't a 1.8?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you thought about fitting a pre heater? These heat up the coolant before you start the car. You get instant heat on a cold day & the engine reaches full operating temp in minutes so less wear & much better fuel consumption as its not running rich for very long,if at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts