MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having overheat indications. I got a sudden change from the normal temp gauge position (9 o'clock) to the 12 o'clock position (complete with red light) whilst stuck in traffic for about 5 minutes. The temp gauge returned to the normal 9 o'clock position as soon as I moved in an attempt to get off the carriageway and shutdown. The message centre did NOT display the 'engine overheat' message. I felt that the cooling fan wasn't working and the A/C auto test seems to confirm this. The water level in the head tank was low. I tried swapping over the HRW and cooling fan relays to no avail however, interestingly, I rather rashly removed the F4 fuse with the engine running and replaced it with a new 15a fuse and this did cause the fan to run for about 5 or 10 seconds.

Worryingly, I can see orange anti-freeze tainted water in the V. Mine is a 2000 R75 Connoisseur 2.5 Auto

Edited to add that the thermostat and engine temperature sensor (? not sure if that is the exact terminology) were replaced a couple of months ago

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
If you have coolant in the v then 99.9% it is the thermostat leaking. Whatever try not to drive the car and get it checked out asap. If you continue to drive you risk v. big bills.

The thermostat is located in the V and when they go coolant in the V is the first sign.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Mike

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mike, do you think I can risk a 3 mile drive to the garage or should I get on the back of a truck? I'm encouraged that you didn't mention the dreaded HGF - maybe an oversight or mistake in fitting the new thermostat in March?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
tho hgf has `been known on the KV6 it is relatively rare and the coolant in the V is a good indicator. If it were me I would get it moved rather than drive as low coolant and/or air pockets in the coolant can lead to hgf-and we don't want that ;)

hth

Mike

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike, I'll get it transported. I have a hunch that it isn't a HGF (I always look on the bright side). I'll report back in the hope it helps somebody else.

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
Started another thread yesterday regarding the radiator fan (the one behind the grill) as I had never known this to come on. It doesn’t come on when the air con is on or when I get the car up to temp and leave it ticking over, nor does the car over heat. So I took her to the garage this morning and he told me that as there as their is only one fan that it wouldn’t come on when the air con is turned on . he Said if it had been a duel fan that it would then have come on. Still im unsure so may go else where for a second opinion, well that why ive posted it on here as im still unsure that he is right (he has never steered me wrong yet) and as I say the car has had no over heating problems YET. 2001 cdt con. Also is a cdt at risk from HGF from overheating if in fact the fan is buggered

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well the car is in the garage now and I await news. They were a bit sniffy about the leaking thermostat theory - mainly, I suspect, because it was them who fitted the thermostat just a few weeks ago :doh:

Josef, I'm not in the least bit technical but I would say you need to get your fan problem sorted immediately.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Josef

The fan should switch on when you turn the aircon on. If it doesn't then there is a rsik of overheating the engine-best to get it sorted asap.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well the mystery deepens. The thermostat is ok as are the head gaskets. They couldn't identify where the water had come from so reseated the hoses.

The cooling fan still doesn't come on when the air temperature control is set to auto and they don't know why (Computer says no fault found). So basically they are saying we don't know what is wrong with it, just keep an eye on the water level and check for any further water in the V.

Time to pick a new maintainer?

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the fan is now cutting in and out but not on contiuously as it should be when ATC is on Auto. I'm off to replace the relays and see if that improves matters. Anyone know what the two yellow relays in the pax footwell fuse compartment are?

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mike the owners manual just shows a 'book' symbol for the 2 relays in question. I'll change the 2 that are obvious (in the engine compartment) and go on from there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts