MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, week ago in the dampest coldest morning ever (Aberdeenshire) I had the Aircon on and heated rear screen (defrost), not content with that I had on my heated seats, lights, CD...... and car was a mile into its morning journey, i.e. stone cold. When turning a sharp corner on came the 'charge failure light' and message in upper console, albeit briefly, off then on again. So I reduce some of the load, by switching off seats and light/warning remains off.

Doesn't take a genius to reliase the belt is slipping, since all the load was on, and the final straw was asking it to do some PAS work as well. Anyway an inspection of the belt revealed it to be wet and slimy (ex girfriend once called me that!) . Decide that investment in new belt is probably a wise move.

Question is this......is this one long serpent belt that does the whole shooting match on the CDTi, or two? Motor factor tells me its two, and they only supply the A/C belt but to me it looks like 1 enormous belt (about 2 miles long). Haven't had the cover off the engine yet to look as it hasn't happened again, but thought I'd ask you dudes to confirm...

CAM.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Until later I can't be sure but I'm fairly sure it's just one.

The dampness on the belt is just that, don't bother replacing the belt.

How many miles has the car done?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's coming up for 25k. about 20 months old.

Was really the first Damp winter morning we've had, and hasn't done it before or since. Checked the altenator output and all is as it should be there.

Suspicion was it was the surface of the rubber coated with dust, grime, oxidised rubber, and the mist just added to it. Belt generally dry now.

I tend to replace belts (of all types) in the 2-3 year period. probably entirely OTT, but preventative maintenance and all that.

CAM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts