MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should the Shocks on a R75 last?
How would I tell if mine have gone or not?
Its just that my car is smooth as always but if I go over a bump with the passenger side front wheel it seems to send a shock wave through the car (windows rattle etc) but I can go over the same bump but with drivers side and the car just eats the bump!

My Tank has done round 94k now!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
push down the pass side and see how long it takes to settle. Push the drivers side down, it should settle alot quicker than your suspect side if its a shock. Could be bushes or anything though.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
push down on the corner of the car you suspect is not working.

it should go someting like.

move down from your push and then rise up and settle at the original ride height. if you get any bouncing then the shocks are worn.

·
Registered
rover_800
309 Posts
At 108k the rear shocks on my 820 were toast. The bloke at the garage showed me after he'd taken them out how shot they were.

·
Registered
446 Posts
94 k??!!! In how many years? I guess if you had the car from new and nothing been changed that's the time that things start to need replacing...such as tired bushes, shocks etc Are you on original clutch, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done the pushing and all seems fine? To Me???
Do u think I can take to a garage and ask them to find out?

:sad3:

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Alex30013k said:
Yeah i think so i think i am just trying to pick an hole in the car!
/QUOTE]

Another one Alex? but you've already got two bloody big holes at the back already ;)

Regards

Mike :)

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Very true, indeed - but the shocks on the 75 are high quality units which will probably last aslong as the car.

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thax
Its just when i ask ppl at work they all say yeah it sounds like its gone! But a bit of positive advice has just made me happy!

Thax
:rocker:

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Just worth a check is that the spring is still intact and not broken on either side. If the spring break is near the top or bottom the ride height will hardly change at all but the spring rate will, making the suspension uneven. Worth a look as it'll only take you 30 secs.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Check all the ball joints, have had this 'crashing noise' on other cars an often a failed ball joint can be the cause, notmally because the rubber boot on the joint has failed allowing water in, and premature ball joint failure.

I shall avoid any obvious jokes about seized ball joints!!

CAM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts