MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad owns a R620ti and was driving to work yesterday, when the car died on him, engine stopped, steering went, breaks went, no lights, no dashlights, nothing!

When he pulled over it started again and he managed to get home.

Its happened twice before about 6 weeks ago. We had the ECU challenged but didn't show anything wrong. However, the garage he took it to yesterday said the ECU was packing up and needed replacing, they couldn't tell us what was exactly wrong with it and couldn't promise that it would solve the problem.

Can anyone help?!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Sounds like a problem with electrics, maybe the coil or something? for the engine to just randomly cut out then starts a moment later...

I wouldnt have thought the ECU? mind you, most garages say this pretty much straight away as its the easiest thing to blame :(

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A-ha!

Stu C said:
Sounds like a problem with electrics, maybe the coil or something? for the engine to just randomly cut out then starts a moment later...

I wouldnt have thought the ECU? mind you, most garages say this pretty much straight away as its the easiest thing to blame :(
Thankyou for your reply Stu!

Yeah, we thought it was too random to be the ECU, and the report we had done on it came back clear/clean bill of health. Thanks mate me Dad's on the case now checking all the leads and the coil itself.

By the way your R600 is a great example! Very tidy!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If all ther dash lights also went out then it is an electrical fault rather than an engine management one (as it killed all the car electrics too). I'd be looking at the earth strap and other major electrical connections first of all.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would say earth fault too. The lights would still work even if the ECU was faulty. Check all the earth points and make sure they are free from rust.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou ETV and Ti Rich.

Just spoke to my Dad, he is now saying the dashboard lights were ON when the car cut out, as he described it the light with the symbol of an engine came on as it does when you turn the key to Position 2.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Ok. Check the connections for the crank position sensor (as these usually fail when hot although they tend to fail erratically rather than just on then off).

Also check the igntion switch is working properly and that all the relays and plugs in the wiring are connected properly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm......as a matter of fact

E_T_V said:
Ok. Check the connections for the crank position sensor (as these usually fail when hot although they tend to fail erratically rather than just on then off).

Also check the igntion switch is working properly and that all the relays and plugs in the wiring are connected properly.
Ar yes, now, my dad's just told me that it does have trouble starting sometimes, it turns over then you hear the starter motor slow down to a stop not just stopping, rather like when you have a flat battery and try to start it. But on the next turn of the key it fires up straight away.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Deejay Allman said:
Ar yes, now, my dad's just told me that it does have trouble starting sometimes, it turns over then you hear the starter motor slow down to a stop not just stopping, rather like when you have a flat battery and try to start it. But on the next turn of the key it fires up straight away.
Definatly sounds like a suspect earth connection then to me. Check all the main battery connections are secure and not corroded.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Deejay Allman said:
Keep the replies coming folks, any comments or advice is well appreciated!
Overheated Ignition Coil, will shut you down, then re-start after a few minutes cooling...would consider changing this unit.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,926 Posts
E_T_V said:
If all ther dash lights also went out then it is an electrical fault rather than an engine management one (as it killed all the car electrics too). I'd be looking at the earth strap and other major electrical connections first of all.
So would I.

By coincidence. Exactly this happened to my son's R620ti recently. The fault was a very weak terminal (metal fatigue? or previous heavy handed treatment) on the positive battery post - not the thick cable to the starter motor though. That appeared sound. The 0-part connected to the other parts of the loom which is held by the same terminal bolt, finally completely severed. Then it was a "Help dad" call to me on the phone. Pleased that my son had actually identified the problem so I used a small jubilee clip as a temporary fix to hold the broken terminal clip against the main positive cable and he was soon on his way again..

His car had been playing up 'electrically' recently and last weekend at 1.30 a.m. I got another "Help Dad" call. This time a completely flat battery.... Long story short, my son has spent so much time sorting his friends Fords, Rovers and Vauxhalls that he'd neglected to check his own car recently. I later found out that he'd been driving around for the best part of a week with his 'battery charge' light occasionally showing. Amazed his battery lasted as long as it did.

Long story short, a quick check of the cars Alternator showed intermittent charging only, mostly BELOW 12 volts! Fortunately I had a spare aircon 620ti alternator and car now perfect. He'd been driving around this past week on battery power alone! On that long run home with lights, CD, wipers all on the go, that battery finally cried enough and everything went dead fortunately only five miles from home.

Youngsters today ... don't know they'ze born..;)

His battery is a good un though. Overnight trickle charge good as new.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its been to the garage - Anyone know the phone number for the Ghostbusters?!

I need a Young Priest and an Old Priest!...............

Well, it went in today, heres what was looked at;

Ignition system
Coil and Leads
ECU (Again)
All Earth Connections
Fuel Lines
Oil Pressure
Alternator
Battery
.................Basically everything, the result;

Everything is 'A' Okay, except......the radiator?! :daft: :banghead:

So its nice to know the rad needs fixing but, thats besides the point. That's 3 totally reliable mechanics consulted and not one of them can find a cure!

Really driving me round the bend now.

My mom, bless her, made a half-truth comment about it all, she said "I wonder if your dad's old mobile phone he uses interferes with the ECU?"
I know some radio walkie talkies do, but what about phones?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts