MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have a small but irritating problem with my 2001 R25 1.4. Intermittently, with no apparent pattern, engine will start to idle at ~2,000 rpm. Problem will persist for a day or two, but then go away as suddenly as it appeared.
During these episodes idle speed is normal when starting from cold, but rapidly increases as engine warms up.

Not particularly mechanically minded, but I'd guess there's a throttle sensor somewhere which occasionally goes awry.

Anybody else experienced this problem? Would appreciate any thoughts - problem is not inconvenient, just annoying!

Thanks,
Graham

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Could be the by now famous sticking throttle body problem, or the engine management temperature sender as it was in mine. If the sender is faulty, the EMS thinks the engine is cold, and adjusts the fuelling. The car has 2 temp senders, one for the fan & engine management, and one solely for the gauge. Do a search on this site - there's a LOAD of stuff about exactly this!

If your car has a plastic (as opposed to alloy) throttle body, it may be sticking, but don't necessarily assume that it is. Mine had an alloy one which stuck like bejaysus, and when I replaced it with a plastic one no more sticking.

Regards

Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts