MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting confused, I have been getting together the bits I need for the 4 year service for my 25 1.4. I have been to halfords to get the plugs but the ones they told me I need depend on if your engine number ends in 64 0r 65, well mine does not end in either of these numbers. Does anyone know what spark plugs go in the engine.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
bob.s said:
I am getting confused, I have been getting together the bits I need for the 4 year service for my 25 1.4. I have been to halfords to get the plugs but the ones they told me I need depend on if your engine number ends in 64 0r 65, well mine does not end in either of these numbers. Does anyone know what spark plugs go in the engine.

Should be NGK PFR6N-11. These are bloody expensive, but last for ages.

I don't know if the ones from a R200 would fit? You would have to ask the Major.

If they do use NGK BKR6E. These last for 2 years. (24-30K)

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yep, you could fit the BKR6E plugs but they'd only have a service life of 2yrs/24K....

Fit the proper plugs - the PFR6N-11's for ultimate durability.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have BKR6E in my 214 and want to uprgrade to the bosch 4 point 1's cos' the plugs need replacing.

What are the equivelent (Sp?) to the NGK BKR6E on the bosch 4 point 1's?

Sorry for the hi-jack of the thread :)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
214 Si Mod'd said:
I have BKR6E in my 214 and want to uprgrade to the bosch 4 point 1's cos' the plugs need replacing.

What are the equivelent (Sp?) to the NGK BKR6E on the bosch 4 point 1's?

Sorry for the hi-jack of the thread :)
Stick with the NGKs there is little or no gain using the bosch super 4's

If you really want to use them the part number is 509

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
R25 plugs

What make are the BKR6E and what is the difference in cost, I don't mind changing them every couple of years. The other plugs are supposed to last 60K miles my R25 has only done 29K is it still worth changing them the car is just 4 years old.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
bob.s said:
What make are the BKR6E and what is the difference in cost, I don't mind changing them every couple of years

BKR6E are NGK, and about £12 from Halfrauds

PFR6N-11 are also NGK and are £35 from Halfrauds

Personally I would also get the BKR6E's as my mileage is low, so it is more econmic to change every two years.

If your mileage is higher and will approach the 60K limit over the 4 years then the PFR6N-11's are better value.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Stick with the NGKs there is little or no gain using the bosch super 4's
In fact, although they do tend to last longer because of the *3* additional electrodes*, I seem to remember JohnyCoupe saying that those very electrodes interrupt the flame front during ignition and can reduce the performance of the engine and screw your timing up in short order.

*The main selling point is that the spark will always have a good route to ground. It's pony. I've used them. Don't bother.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've just bought some NGK PFR6N-11 Spark plugs form eBAY. I paid £21.00 Inc P&P and came a few days later. Just wondering what the price some people on here have paid.

Here's the link: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/E-BLADES-AND-BRAKES_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

I've just checked out the shop and looks like he's not put anymore on ebay yet. Send him an Email, I'm sure he can get hold of some.

---- Technical Question ----

I've taken my cover off the engine, and found that the spark plugs have a rubber cover. Can someone tell me how to remove this without damaging the any components.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
214 Si Mod'd said:
Iv'e heard nothing but good things about them??

Thought they increased power due to a stronger spark??
Ive also got them in at the moment, complete waste of wonga. Get the ngk's

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Plugs

I just did a full major on my 25 impression. The plugs I got were Denso PK20PRII dual platinum. I also changed the engine oil for Mobil 1, and refilled the gearbox with synthetic stuff. As I suspected, the factory fit plugs were rubbish, and the gear oil came out dark green.

Result - it's like a different car, and it's quieter too. The plugs cost 25 quid plus vat and if I remeber correctly the Mobil 1 was round about that also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts