MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R25 1.4 2001. I am new to this forum and have read some articles about HGF (head gasket failure) on the rovers. My question is, is it common on the 1.4 25's and if so is there an average mileage that it is likely to happen. Just a precaution I hope.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The gasket will only fail due to something else in the cooling/engine failing. What symptoms did you get when the gasket failed.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The most common cause of HGF is poor maintenance. Check the coolant levels regularly, and ALWAYS top it up if it drops below the maximum.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has not failed and there are no problems but I have been interested in the comments about HGF and hope I don't suffer from it.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also read that it is critical that the coolant is changed every four years - that is the new type coolant, OAT extended life organic acid type !!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Its alot less common on the 1.4, good maintenance is vital as it is with all engines!!! Kseries are very reliable and though there are a number of cars with hgf the reputation for the engine is totally unfair. The majority of failures are down to poor servicing maintenance.

But the biggest contributor is airlocks in the cooling system...even tiny ones. Always ensure that the system is bled 100% correctly when the coolant is changed.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
as said above keep an eye on the coolant levels. the gasket doesn't blow on it's own....there is usually a reason.

the k- series doesn't hold much water so any loss needs to be investigated.

to be honest i can't recall a single 25 owner on this forum that has had a head gasket fail......plenty of 200's though.

the k-series was fitted with an uprated gasket/dowels from around 2000/2001.

just check the coolant weekly(more in the summer) and don't worry about it.

i've had 3 k-series powered cars and never had a head gasket fail. i wouldn't take too much notice of what u read elsewhere.......much of it is heresay.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
well said Michael B. The K is a cracking motor and very reliable. Im sure all will be well, just watch them levels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Rover 200 im currently changing the gasket on failed due to a leak from the inlet manifold gasket. Corrosion of the system caused this due to the coolant not being replaced. The coolant dropped well below what the bottle could hold ( her fault not mine!) and although it was noticed straight away the damage was done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts