MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had problems starting my R214 8v a few weeks ago. Various things happened, but to cut a long story short the car had a new starter motor, dizzy cap, rotor arm, and the leads were replaced. ( Plugs were replaced before i got the car ). It has been starting and running perfectly ok..........until this morning. Missus was to use the car for work as i needed our estate ( gonna sort out a few things ready to sell it ), Oh dear Rover will not start, again!!!
Any ideas what it could be this time????
Had decided to keep the 200 and sell the Fiat Marea Estate, maybe have to think again with reliability as a major factor ( live in middle of nowhere, missus pregnant, etc ).
Help needed, not happy bunny at the moment.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm not too "au fait" with the 8v engine, but does it have a crankshaft position sensor and if so, has it been checked or replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard, no idea if it has a crankshaft position sensor, have to look at the Haynes manual. Would that cause the problem overnight. Been running great for a few weeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep seen the sensor in the manual, guess I'll have to look at it tomorrow. Not sure what I'm looking for though.
Anything else I should check? Ideas anyone?
I'm thinking Rover 214s 8v, P-reg, 85k, alloys, for sale!!!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Does it turn over ok? Just doesn't seem to want to start?

Or does it not get that far?

Maybe ignition coil is knackered? (I am guessing wildely, i'm sure someone will tell you i'm talking b*llocks) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Shuntis,
Yep' turns over no problem, fuel obviously getting through ( can smell it ), just will not fire!! Coil sounds possible to me, but have not come across the crank sensor as a possible before this.
Will keep informed. Hopefully I'll get it going tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
mg_zt
129 Posts
Check the ignition coil. I had huge starting difficulties on my 214 Mk3 until I changed the coil which is situated beneath the engine, subjected to water spray from the road. It's an easy job to change it if you lift the car. You could try to remove it and dry & clean the coil, and then try to start the engine. If that works, I would suggest you get a new coil as drying & cleaning it is just a short-term solution.

/Ackel

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
shaun61260 said:
( Plugs were replaced before i got the car ). .
Does not mean they could not be at fault or fitted correctly. Next time non-starter, whip a couple out, examine and report on condition. Look for fuel soaking. I've even known plugs dripping with fuel these cold mornings - no chance of a spark doing anything that way.

Recheck all those things that have been touched or moved recently.

Another thing could be iffy battery. Any battery weakness will show up these cooler damp mornings. If the starter is taking all the battery can give, maybe not enough for healthy sparks so fuel simply accumulates on the plugs.

If a systematic check of all the likely suspects draws a blank (add faulty alternator to list - faulty ones can drain battery overnight) check the archives here and elsewhere such as Rovertech.net for clues. Chances are it's something simple, particularly as it was running fine recently..

Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would go with a duff crankshaft sensor mine did the same i to changed the dizzy cap coil leads and plugs but as soon as the senor was changed all my starting problems vanished.

I went down the scrappy and got one from a single point injection even though mine is multipoint it works fine.

2x 7mm bolts hold it in place best to reach behind/under the inlet manifold from the drivers side to get better access to it.

Barry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys,
Got jack n stands, tools etc out today. Thought, give it a turn........started almost before i'd turned the key.
Put tools, etc, away and left the bloody thing. Had phoned around for a coil and crank sensor and no-one had any so just as well really.
Been running perfectly all day, starting straight off. What is with this car????
I have seriously had enough of this motor, to think i nearly sold the reliable Fiat to keep this load of hassle.
FOR SALE, ROVER 214s 8v, 5 DOOR, WHITE, 85k, ALLOYS, ETC. REASONABLE OFFERS??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Enak, yep checked the plugs, no problems there, battery is perfectly ok, cant be bothered to change the coil (just in case), more expence and time, getting rid of the car anyway. Let someone else have the hassle!!!!
First and last Rover, nothing but hassle.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Not exactly a unique problem to Rovers.

It's just damp HT leads, common to a lot of cars.

get some WD40 and spray over the leads and dizzy cap!

Don't sell the car over damp HT leads!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would still change the crankshaft sensor mine was the same somes days would start fine sometimes even start for days and then one morning it wouldnt but if left and tried later it might. All sorted soon as that sensor was changed.Barry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys,
Sorry to have been a bit narked. Unfortunately I live miles from anywhere and my wife is expecting, so the car has to be reliable. OK while we were running two motors but now have to sell one. The Fiat Marea has not let us down in 4 years, the Rover 200 has left me high and dry 3 times in 4 months. While the Rover has nothing major to solve, with one (dead) car, it would be a train journey and a walk across town, and back again whenever i needed anything. Reliability is a major factor.
Now the problem is trying to sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
tecnobaz said:
I would still change the crankshaft sensor mine was the same somes days would start fine sometimes even start for days and then one morning it wouldnt but if left and tried later it might. All sorted soon as that sensor was changed.Barry
Mine was exactly the same.. got a new crank sensor for £15 and changed it in about 15mins... never had a problem since...

Before I changed it car might work fine for days then all of a sudden wud just stop randomly and not start again... now everything is tickadeeboo :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts