MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my son a 1992 r214 5 door wedge. Car is in excellent condition with just one fault...water leaks into the boot area. I have done a search on this forum and found out the most common fault is the rear lights leak so i tried sealing them up with RTV sealant, they still leak so i need to re look at why this is. I am wondering if new gaskets might be a better solution. I can also see that water is coming down the underneath of the side channels from somewhere near the upper part of the boot opening. I also noticed the LHS speaker cable had water drops on it. The hinge area looks solid with no signs of rust or open joints. So, can water get into this part of the bodywork from leaking side windows or even the roof channels? if so, how do i remove the side window trims and can the roof rubber strips be safely removed and then easily put back on?
I have also sealed around the vent area as that was also showing signs of letter water in.
Thx,
Nigel

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
was going to say the vents are a common one,

need to strip the boot, cover it in talc and get someone with the hose outside while you watch for leaks :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts