MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was just moving my car off the drive & was just holdin it on bite up bank ( waiting for sister get her car our ) & stall ( oh i dont do that often :p ) anyway i started the car up again & SH********* lol the revs started on 4k & kept goin higher & higher, so i turned car off again , ahhhh , tried it again same thing ahhhhh. lol so waited for sister to move & ( luckily i was on a bank ) the car just rolled back into my drive, I looked in the engine bay & isntantly went to the throttle, I noticed a loose pipe, but i noticed it was going to the charcole cannister, I thought surely thts not causing the problem, but yeh shoved it back in & hey presto nouts wrong now ....... Although I went out to get petrol & noticed the revs we stickin ( lol odd one that isnt it ) well went I pressed the clutch down the revs shot up 1 k revs & then gradually made their way down instead of almost instantly going down. I got home had another look, & the pipe had not come up but had come loose, so i was thinkin either it was glued in & its been forced out, or somet .... anyway its got one them clips on the pipe which i twisted around & its now holding itself in.

My question is , can I block this charcole cannister up ( so i dont have the possibility of this pipe coming loose again ) or do I have to stick the pipe by in properly ???

Cheers, seems lil odd asking maintanance questions when MGR like this :( still I'm happy to see so many out on the round round my area, 75's 200's 25's 400's loads of MG's too :) you wonder if they're all as enthralled with MGR as most of us lot on here, noticed the other drivers ( non MGR ) looking at the MG-ROVER sticker on the back of the car, spose it has a bit more meaning now..... perhaps should put the Union jack back in my car, last time had them out was ENGLAND matches :p

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Firstly, I agree that it is probably a sticky throttle body.

Secondly, ISTR that the pipe that goes to the charcoal canister is there to route sump gasses and the like. It won't affect tailpipe emissions but there may be some MOT implications if it is disconnected when inspected.

Thirdly, technical advice will be given here for as long as the site exists and there are interested punters. MG-R's fate will have no reflection on this, so you go ahead and ask away, mate.

Fourthly, Union Jack badges are available in the online shop. Assuming they are still available, go and buy one! :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh well it was weird cuz when I pulled the pipe out the revs went UP very quickly & you could hear a suckin noise, so I stuck it back in. I just drove 140 miles after I put the pipe back in properly & not one iota of a problem.

Gawrd went through a speed camera at 40 then half way slammed brakes on but it didn't flash ( it was a new one & the road is 30 ) so I presume I got away with it. Still I'm very annoyed with myself for not noticing the new cameras. ( been there for bout a week ) (( i thought they were working but I would have been able to tell if they were working in the dark..... FLASH FLASH ))

Anyway hoo the british flag was the proper flag like you put over your parcel shelf, I had a st georges cross last st georges day & thought perhaps a Union jack would be fitting for showing I support the British industry of cars. ??

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
the new type camaras have a infra red flash (invisible to the human eye) on them, so wouldnt bother looking for a flash unless its gatso

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so i been got then ????

I hope not , how long does it normallly take to arrive, presume its a letter.......

& is there anyway of finding whether they are working & if they are in fact infra red ,???

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Normally, an infra red one will be facing you as you drive towards it.

Also, you can see them flash, they flash a dull purple.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh i been readin up about them :)

Popularity On UK Roads : 2/10

How to Protect Yourself :
GPS Speed Camera Detection System only.

How They Work :
A forward facing camera, designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle, allowing the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well to aid prosecution.

Sensors in the road calculate the speed and the Infra red camera captures the car registration number and driver picture without a flash. This system offers evidence as to the identity of the driver at the time of the offence.

No flash it ommitted as the system uses Infra Red Light.

Limitations : Once they run out of film they become inactive. Do not work on Motorbikes with no front registration plate.

I'm going to go back & see if it was facing me, & at least it will settle my mind a bit, I hate not knowing one way or the other, they just changed speed limits , on half the road & kept the other half at 30 its so confusing :(

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right the cameras( iwent through) take a photograph of the rear of your car .......... which means they HAVE to flash right ??? Well from what I was reading the infra red only take photos of your face ( as the flash can disoriantate you ) anyway, like I say they re new so hopefully they haven't been turned on yet, I'm going to be soooooo paranoid for like a month now, untill I know whether I got one or not ............

Spose its not the end of the world if I have........

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
not nessacarily, bradford road in batley now has rear facing truvelo camaras.

The infra red flash is invisible to the human eye and you cannot see the flash, when was the last time you saw a light on the end of youre remote control? At the moment the only camaras that have a visible flash are gatsos, and they are very easy to tell apart from the rest.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Well I definately seen a front facing camera with a purple flash. I was behind the car that got done.

It wern't very bright, but you could deffo see it.

Made me worry for a couple of weeks, thought it was me it was flashing.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gatso & truvelo, yeh they are very different ( mainly the colour) but the truvelo looks like a really old camera ( with the sticky outy bits ) wheres as the gatso looks like a disposable one ( lol ) mine was definately the gatso camera ......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh dear, lol not helping my conscious here. ( but mine was yellow & gatso, so I can only hope, it wasnt dressin up as a gatso but infact a truvelo :p) ((got their finally ))

I don't know then you see the blue cameras flashing THE double flash that blinds ppl ??

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
interesting read, lol glad I dont have to worry bout one of them, never seen the truvelo only gatso. Wonder if he did get that fine. Still I'm not ruling out the fact I may get one, but at least for the next month I'll be driving like you should do. ( within the limits )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts