MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to keep a car on the road if it is not insured?

My wife is picking up a new(ish) car on Saturday. The old one will not be sold in time. As we need to transfer the insurance to the new car, the old will be uninsured. It is taxed and MOT'd. It's not worth an awful lot so theft is not a major concern It will be in a marked bay on the footway so it should not be involved in any collisions.

TIA for any advice...

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
yes but it will be uninsured.

must have tax to be on the road, but MOT and insurance are only required for driving

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No, it is an offence to have a vehicle on the highway if it does not have and one or more of Insurance, MOT, TAX.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act for more details ;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Stu said:
No, it is an offence to have a vehicle on the highway if it does not have and one or more of Insurance, MOT, TAX.
Makes sense, gotta have at least 3rd party, in case say....the handbrake was not on properly and it rolled into the road and hit another vehicle....Outside chance but then thats what insurance is about!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
most insurance companies will give you 30 days cover on it for a few quid, mine did it for the admin costs :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You have to prove the vehicle is insured to get tax, so if the insurance has expired then would that not nullify the tax anyway?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input.. We have now found a place to keep it off road until it's sold.

I can't believe my wife wants to sell a 214si to buy a Ford Fiasco 1.25. Ah well there's no accounting for taste :)

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
27 Posts
Some insurance companies will cover both cars simulataneously for a limited period if you are transfering insurance over. I know my policy did (for about a week) when I changed my car, worth reading the small print of your policy.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
AFAIK a car must be taxed to be be kept on a public road. To be taxed, it must be insured and MoT'd (see also above advice)...

If you want to get out of taxing a car, you have to fill in SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification?)...

You could always try making up some foreign numberplates. Lithuanian and Polish seem to be the current favourites, though non-MoT'd, untaxed German is also popular. And nothing seems to affect these cars!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well how's tihs for a result. I phoned up the insurers (More Than) this morning to swop the insurance over. They asked me if I had sold the old car yet.

When I said no, they gave me, for no charge, an extra week's cover on the old one.

They also threw in free breakdown cover until the renewal date.

Not even an admin charge! Since when did insurers start giving stuff away :)

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Tbird_885 said:
Well how's tihs for a result. I phoned up the insurers (More Than) this morning to swop the insurance over. They asked me if I had sold the old car yet.

When I said no, they gave me, for no charge, an extra week's cover on the old one.

They also threw in free breakdown cover until the renewal date.

Not even an admin charge! Since when did insurers start giving stuff away :)
Thats very odd! Bet they will send you a bill afterwards lol. I would have said it would be ok for it to be uninsured as long as it was off a "public" road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts