MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 97 MGF VVC and recently was stuck in traffic with smoke pouring out of the engine bay. After about 5 minutes, I could pull over and get the F towed home. I have checked the oil cap and dipstick and there doesn't seem to mayonnaise from a failed head gasket. There are signs of coolant on the engine shield, particularly towards the driver seat.
Hopefully it is just a burst hose or coolant cap, but tips on what I should check would be appreciated. So far there isn't anything obvious, but I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks all.

James

· Registered
6,715 Posts
The coolant level in the reservoir will be an indicator, as will the engine oil level - check those two things first.

Reactions: Julian Foulger

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
My wife's F blew a hose this past June. She probably drove for about 2 minutes before she could find a safe place to pull over. I changed the hose, filled the coolant, and check for leaks everywhere, thinking the engine may have been damaged due to the running without coolant. Nope. She put several thousand miles on the car before putting it away for the winter in November, didn't loose another drop of coolant.

I'd suggest adding coolant dye to the expansion tank and then running the engine and look everywhere for coolant escaping the system, especially around the engine to cylinder head joint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts